my 4 m/o is constipates. what can I do to help her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• applesauce just a little bit
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• you can try some prune juice. just dillute it with water. you can also help her by pushing her legs up to her tummy. or move her legs like shes on a bike. that can help to push the bowel movement down and out
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Symptoms please. Breast or bottle fed?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• breast fed and rice cereal once a day. The rice cereal used to help her poop better, but we just switched kinds because she's allergic to soy and gerber's brand has soy. She was up all night like she had a tummy ache and she hasn't pooped since yesterday at this time (she usually poops 5 or more times a day.)

Would pears help just as much as applesauce?
    Anonymous

• Prune Juice will cause gas... Pear or PearApple Juice is best! You can get baby juice at the store or just cut it with water... 1 pt juice 2 pts water...

You should also "bicycle" her legs while she's on her back. Like she's running. That will help get things moving. Be VERY careful when rubbing her tummy... ONLY move in a clockwise motion around her belly button... Any other motion can cause damage.

I have IBS and have had to deal not only with my own constipation but now that of my sons...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I give ms ds 1 oz of pear juice with 1 oz of water
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 5:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I'd stop the cereal and see if it helps. Rice cereal can constipate. What are the symptoms? Not pooping isn't constipation.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• but if she's used to having that extra food won't it be hard just to stop giving it to her? I'm assuming it's constipation since she usually sleeps thru the night (12 hrs) and last night she was up almost every hour with what seemed like a tummy ache.
    Anonymous

• My DS has had constipation issues since he was about a month old. I juice does wonders or Karo syrup. Doctors wont usually tell you about it. My son's surgeon is who told me about it but it will work the fastest. I used about a tablespoon to 2oz of formula. My son's is so bad that I have to give him juice and karo at least once a day. That is just a nice quick fix. hope it helps
    Anonymous

• My ped. says adult prune juice only like a 1/2 ounce to ounce, do not dilate. He said it is the prune pulp that makes it work. He suggests not to get the baby prune juice cause the pulp is removed. He said not to dilute. Everyone's opinion is a little different, but this is what I was told for my only 1 week old.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2009