Would you be ok with?

Would you be ok if healthcare officials required you to lose weight or quit smoking in order to receive free or lower rates?

Two leading causes of health problems in the US, if officials intervened in your personal choices, how would you react?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes I would be okay with it. You should be rewarded for healthy choices. And I need to do both of those things.
    TurksMommy

Answer by TurksMommy at 4:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I think people who are obese or smoke and DO NOT do anything to improve their own life/health, they should pay higher insurance.
    Op
    Anonymous

• heck yes if it would lower healthcare costs. nothing wrong with nudging people to be healthier.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 5:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Sure! My healthplan (CIGNA) already rewards us for healthy check-ups...$500 annual for each person who meets their healthy standards (non-smoking, low cholesterol, normal blood pressure range, normal weight range, etc.). That comes to $2000 CASH for our little family...our very own stimulus check of sorts! :o)

In the long run, healthy individuals cost insurance plans less money, and people live more fulfilling lives...it's a win-win incentive!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• They already do pay higher insurance. Try and get a quote and those questions are asked because they result in a higher rate. No I wouldnt be ok with that. It would be ok with me to work or do something in exchange with govt assistance medical programs, but I think anyone with no income or low income should have to work for what they expect for free.
    I do think that those with obesity issues should be offered gastric bypass. That cuts down on many problems they have and would cost the govt and any provider less money in the long run.
    Anonymous

• Well they are already do something similar with Life insurance and car insurance. You have to be healthy to get life insurance and you are rewarded foe being a good driver. Why should health care be different?
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 5:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Businesses are already paying higher premiums for employees with pre-existing conditions or numerous claims, or do not fit a healthy lifestyle. And many larger companies get group discounts on premiums for healthier employees.
    So in a way, they are requiring employees and employers to be healthier by charging them more for blanket group coverage.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I work for an insurance company and have my insurance through the company with the group. Employees who smoke are charged a higher rate, its about $20 higher per month...if their spouses smoke they are not charged a higher rate for them though. They haven't gone as for as to say if you are obese b/c of uncontrolled eating they will raise premiums though, I think that would be too touchy and it would be hard to say it was due to eating and not some sort of medical problem. Hell, I'm considered to be 30lbs overweight according to my doctor b/c I'm only 5'1 but I weigh 145 lbs...its all in my damn bra! lol
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 5:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Define officials - insurance companies already do this, but I don't want any law having a thing to do with it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• 5:04PM Anonymous
    I do think that those with obesity issues should be offered gastric bypass.

***
    Gastric bypass is not a "quick fix." GB is MAJOR surgery with A LOT of risk. Those who are morbidly obese who have this surgery ALREADY have a host of medical conditions, and the patient may still die as a result of those pre-existing conditions. REPUTABLE doctors will not perform GB surgery until you have demonstrated a real effort to lose weight through diet and exercise. Those who have had GB surgery have to stay on a VERY strict diet for the rest of their lives! It is VERY costly, and I do not think it should be an option for those who haven't even tried to lose weight.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2009