How can I ween my 5 month old from her swaddle?

My little girl loves being swaddled and she gets mad when her hands are out. I have let her nap with out it a couple of times but she wakes up after only half an hour. What should I do?

Trishalp

Asked by Trishalp at 5:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep her swaddled, lol. Babies like it, it makes them feel safe. There will be plenty of times you hae to throw her out into an unsafe world. For know, can't you just keep wrapping her? They make the kind with velcro if you can't get the blanket to stay. Is there a reason why you want her to stop being swadled?
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 5:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• wow, I can't spell today. now, not know and have not hae, lol
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 5:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My son was the same way. How i got him weened off was by keeping him swaddled and then wrapping the blanket looser and looser until the blanket was just on top of him. Now he doesn't even like to have the blanket on top of him anymore...lol...hope this helps
    Borikaos

Answer by Borikaos at 5:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I swaddled my ds until he was about almost 4 months. We were scared to death not to swaddle but he just got too big to swaddle. So we bought a sleep sack from babies r us. BUT the arms are not wrapped....it seemed to work ok the first night we tried it he slept just fine in the sleep sack from then on.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 5:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My son is now 6 months and we still have to swaddle him or else he won't stay asleep! I feel bad because he gets all sweaty but he will NOT sleep without being swaddled. I even had to buy a bigger blanket to fit him!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 5:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Also google "the miracle blanket"
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 8:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• we have been recently trying to break my son of being swaddled, fortunately its been pretty good. he is 8 months, we ever had to have a bigger swaddler made. But for about the past 3 weeks hes only been swaddled 3-4 nights. When your daughter seems to resist that swaddle that may be the time to try to break the habit. But one problem we are having now, it that he rolls over and wakes himself up when he doesn't have enough room to roll back over in the crib... he also scoots all over the crib, even sometimes ending sideways or all the way turned around (head at the other end than we put him to sleep at)
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 11:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2009