What is the purpose of swaddling infants?

I'm not judging, it wasn't done when my kids were infants. I mean past about one month. Just curious. Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• just to keep them comfortable. They were in an enclosed space for so long that it gives them a comfort. But I agree I think I only swaddled the first one or two months. once they start kicking their legs around that stuff is for the birds LOL
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I did it so my babies would sleep better. They just seemed to sleep better that way and they didn't jerk and scare themselves or wake themselves up. But that was just my way! Babies all feel comforted in different ways I guess.
    Anonymous

• Some babies like it better, to remind them of the safety of the womb. Mine never cared for it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I've never understood it...no problem with those who did it!!! But my boys a screamed until they were out of a swaddle. The nurses would swaddle them in the nursery and bring them to me with "he's just a fussy one." I'd unwrap them and....hmmm...no fussy or screaming!

So...I really don't understand it. Seriously. LOL My guys (all three) hated it!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• my son would wiggle and squirm until he got out....he hated it. He was also a mover and shaker in the womb too. He was ready to get out and see the world.
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 7:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i still do it. my son is 6 mon and its the only way he will sleep even in the swing
    marissad

Answer by marissad at 7:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• its because they're so used to the womb and its confines that once they get out they realize the world is a big scary place
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 7:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• They were in a tight warm place inside you so it seems to comfort them.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2009