WHEN PEOPLE PUT YOU ON HOLD DURING A CONVERSATION... DO YOU FEEL LIKE THEY DIDN'T VALUE WHAT YOU WERE SAYING ENOUGH TO NOT TAKE THE OTHER CALL?

LATELY I HAVE HAD MY MOM, MY BFF, MY SISTERS AND ALL SORTS OF PEOPLE PUT ME ON HOLD REPEATEDLY EVEN DURING THE SAME CALL DOING IT LIKE 2-4 TIMES.

AND I AM SORRY BUT I AM STARTING TO FEEL LIKE THEY ARE NOT EVEN VALUEING ANYTHING I HAVE TO SAY ANYMORE.

I MEAN IF OUR CONVERSATION WAS IMPORTANT TO THEM WOULD THEY PUT IT ON HOLD.

I MEAN IF THEY HAD CALL WAITING CALLER ID IF THEY LOOKED AT IT COULDN'T THEY JUST NOT PICK IT UP AND CALL THE PERSON BACK?
ASSUMING IT WAS NOT A MAJOR IMPORTANT CALL.
I MEAN IF THE KIDS SCHOOL CALLS YES STOP ME AND PICK IT UP. IF THE POLICE CALL PICK IT UP. IF YOUR WAITING FOR A IMPORTANT CALL AND IT COMES LET ME GO AND CALL ME BACK.
BUT 2-3 OF THEM IN ONE PHONE CONVERSATION... THAT IS A LITTLE TOO MUCH.

JESUSCARES4YOU2

Asked by JESUSCARES4YOU2 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• When they say "hold on a minute" politely tell them that you're getting off the phone. It's the only choice you have really
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 6:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I always put people on hold when another call comes in. Its annoying to keep hearing the beep so I flip over. I dont do it to be rude. I havent had anyone say it was rude. They do it to me too. I know I am not the center of everyones Universe after all.
    Anonymous

• I do it to my friends all the time but it's usually my husband calling me from work. Husband comes first.

I don't mind if people click over while I'm on the line as long as they aren't leaving me hanging for a long time.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Hang up. Then call them back. Otherwise just deal, it is our new technological way of life and you are not the center of attention.
    It doesn't bother me a bit.
    Anonymous

• I feel very much as though they don't consider my conversation important. I will either say a quick goodbye, and they call me back, or I close the conversation quickly when they do come back from taking the other call, unless they apologize and explain that it was an emergency or urgent. If it is something urgent then I'll also close the conversation and suggest that they call me when they have more time to talk.

Answer by Bmat at 6:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• That's not as bad as when I'm talkin to my Dad and his wife is talkin to him and he's not talking to me anymore I think I have hung up on him before for doing that.
    Deb79

Answer by Deb79 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I hang up. If I'm not worth the time it takes to finish our conversation or at least ask if they can call me back (if it's someone important like the dr's office or school) then I hang up. They can call me back later and I can answer when I think I have time to talk. (I tend to get my feelings hurt easily and have to stew for a while!)

Answer by admckenzie at 6:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I don't mind being put on hold at all, it's being forgotten that gets my goat! My mom will put down the phone and then forget she was even on it!
    sarah3-CO

Answer by sarah3-CO at 7:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Really? No one thinks this is a bit harsh? I put people on hold, i get put on hold...thats just today's world. No biggie...unless its a really long time. I'm more upset if someone calls me and then keeps talking to whoever they are with on the other line! You called me, so talk to me!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I don't see it that way. We all have busy lives and other things we need to do even if we are on the phone. I have three kids running around while i'm trying to talk which takes a lot of my attention away. lol I'm not being rude, it's just distractions. And I take other calls, so I wouldn't be upset if someone did it to me.
    abootie

Answer by abootie at 8:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2009