How do you feel about the TV transition being delayed?

House votes to delay digital TV transition

The House voted today 264-158 to delay the analog TV shutdown until June 12.

The nation was two weeks away from the original date of Feb. 17 for the digital transition, allowing broadcasters to replace analog TV signals with digital ones.

tyme4me2day

Asked by tyme4me2day at 6:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I posted this before, but I think it got buried in the many responses, so here it is again!

I'm no techie, but basically, one of Obama's big campaign fundraising "buddies" owns the Clearwire company.  This company wants to be able to corner the market on the latest G4 technology.  Verizon ALSO has a G4 system they want to get up and running, but in order to do so needs the current analog airwaves.  The longer Clearwire can be the exclusive company offering this technology, the more profits this Obama buddy makes!  Can you say conflict of interest?!

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/02/issa-invokes-clearwire-conflict-wants-to-halt-dtv-delay-bill.ars

That's transparency for yah! (sarcasm)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It really doesnt matter to me either way.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 6:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I think it was really stupid to waste time on it. People have known for ages now it was going to be changing. Theyll still complain when it changes anyway. They could have spent time on something more important.

Answer by gemgem at 6:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• HEY I WAS NOT SURE IF MY TV WOULD STILL WORK SO I AM GLAD TO HEAR THEY DID.
    JESUSCARES4YOU2

Answer by JESUSCARES4YOU2 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Score one for the slackers. At least they aren't wasting any more money on it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I have had a box for some time. But even with the box I don't get any reception. Without it I get around 3 channels. So, I'm kinda happy, but I really don't care much. We mainly watch NetFlix anyways.

I did hear that if they push the date back it will cost PBS Millions of dollars... I don't like to hear that. PBS is awesome!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• The Obama administration was behind the latest delay. It asked Congress to postpone the transition again, fearing that the 5.7 percent of American households without the proper digital-to-analog conversion boxes—boxes that can be had for free simply by requesting a voucher from the FCC—would wake up on the 17th, find themselves greeted by only static, and march in the streets.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 6:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I really don't care, although I'm really sick of all the commercials and warnings about it happening.
    Anonymous

• maybe they found out how many people don't really care, so they are afraid tv ratings will go down. I am sorta joking with this, but I do know a few people who have decided not to worry about it and that they will just not watch tv for awhile, until they really miss it and then they will do what they have to to get tv back into their lives. We can live without it, but it would be kind of boring. LOL
    Minnesotamom

Answer by Minnesotamom at 6:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• To be fair, many of those affected by the switchover are poor, disenfranchised, or disabled, and Consumers Union has raised concerns about the government’s coupon program. If we were talking about something critical to a full life, I’d feel a little more compassion. But it’s television. For every person that’s watching the news, 20 are watching American Idol.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 6:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2009