ANYONE KNOW HOW TO KEEP A KID FROM FALLING ASLEEP IN THE CAR?

JESUSCARES4YOU2

Asked by JESUSCARES4YOU2 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• my 9 yr old falls asleep everytime... and is really grumpy when he wakes up- so if the trip is short i take his jacket from him and leave the heat low in the car- he is WAY less sleepy that way. i do that in the morning to get hm going for school too- keep the woodstove low until he is dressed- otherwise he can't get out of his warm snuggly bed to shower and dress quick enough!
    alwms

Answer by alwms at 6:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I keep talking to my kid in a loud voice and ask him questions. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't! Or I'll tell him to sing with me.
    Anonymous

• I think it was Bill Engvall or Ray Ramano that said that he kept a spray bottle in the glove compartment and every time his kids would fall asleep he would spray them!
    momof2girlz33

Answer by momof2girlz33 at 6:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• We play 20 questions (with a 9yr old) and sing (with a 4 yr old). But, I think the spray bottle will be much more enjoyable on my end :)
    Anonymous

• I enjoy mine falling asleep in the car. Then again I have five kids. So any kind of peace and quiet is good with me! Why would you want to keep them awake anyway?
    Angie32Red

Answer by Angie32Red at 6:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Depends on how old the child is. You could sing, make him talk. Just bug him/her. LOL
    Ivayla

Answer by Ivayla at 6:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I bribe my kid with a little something he likes if he doesn't sleep. It works for me. Because he really is a grump if he falls asleep in the car and has to wake up.
    1grl2bys

Answer by 1grl2bys at 10:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• all i have 2 say is good luck my youngest always tries to fall a sleep by the time we go home lol he is already ready for adventure
    proudyoungmom87

Answer by proudyoungmom87 at 10:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I read somewhere that if a kid (I am sure they aren't talking about small babies) falls asleep in a car, it means they are sleep deprived. Does yopur child get the amount of sleep they need?
    Anonymous

• I am with the kids, I love sleeping in the car when my honey drives. LOL
    sherry512

Answer by sherry512 at 11:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2009