is spotting or brown discharge normal during 5th week of pregnancy?

i am 5 weeks pregnant and getting some brown discharge from last 5-6 days only when i wipe off. before that it was clear and stretchy mucus like ovulation time mucus and lot more quantity wise. 2 day ago it had some pinkish blood also then came back to brown later in the evening. i have had 3 pregnancies before ( all girls)and never had this kinda thing. my friend and her aunt told me she had spotting with her boys and its a sign of carrying a boy. any advise will be appreciated?

dazyA

Asked by dazyA at 6:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Totally normal. As long as it is brown blood it is old blood probably being pushed out. No big deal. If you start getting bright red blood and/or severe cramping that is when you need to worry.

I had that brown blood for about two weeks from 5 to 7 weeks pregnant and I just gave birth to my healthy baby two weeks ago.

I miscarried during my first pregnancy so it was unsettling to see the brown, but it was all good. Good luck!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 6:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• For the most part it is normal. I had spotting at 13 weeks for 2 and a half weeks. It was so scary. I went to the doctor several times. It was brownish and only when I wiped. The baby turned out to be fine so far but I was diagnosed with placenta previa (where the placenta is too close to the cervix and will prob. not move through out the pregnancy) I haven't had any spotting since and am now 21 weeks prego!! I would suggest that you go to the doctor. People told me over and over that it was normal but I needed to find out for myself. Although, you have already had 3 and this is my first so, it is possible that I am just a super neurotic first time mother!! LOL Oh, and I am having a boy...so, maybe the myth that it happens with boys and not girls is true! Good Luck ;-)
    gavinsmommy111

Answer by gavinsmommy111 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2009