When taking care of a newborn did you find time to do all the cooking and cleaning like you usually do?

I am keeping my home picked up but not spotless. I have not cooked a meal in the two weeks since I brought my daughter home. I just can't find the time and energy.

Any super moms out there?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 6:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I sure am not! I didn't get crap done after my son was born. 6 months later I still don't get it all done! But now that he can keep himself occupied for a while I have time for the basics.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I was very lucky as my husband had 6 weeks paternity leave off. We also prepared about 2 weeks of food and just put it all in the freezer before our son was born.
    Anonymous

• hmm...everything is pretty normal for me and i have an older kid, my daughter who is only 16 months old. my son just made a month a couple days ago...everything is pretty normal for me right now...he sleeps alot, and when he isnt, he likes to lay there and look around... but i have a feeling it'll be more tough when they get a little older...
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 6:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• We're supposed to cook and clean?

Dang! I'm a few years off of that! Someone forgot to tell me dang it!!

lol

When she naps, you nap. If you have some energy, run the vacuum. Do a load of laundry each day. Just try to keep up with things as you go. Swings, bouncy seats and playareas are your friend!

She doesn't have to be held every minute! (just every other minute! lol) Cook a ton of food when you have help watching her and freeze it...maybe a week at a time. Take out, thaw and heat.

Get a slow cooker! Whole meal dumped in it in the morning and presto!!! Supper!!

Supermom? Not me. But the place isn't a pigsty and the boys aren't hungry! They get to their appointments on time, get their therapy on time, get to school on time...so I guess I'm doing okay!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• No but the way I looked at it was....theyre only this little for a short time. So enjoy it and the housework will be there later. I mean Im not a slob or anything. My house is clean, but I don't focus AS MUCH as I used to on it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Don't worry about housework! Take care of your baby and yourself, I resisted at first, tried to keep up with everything when my son was sleeping, but I just ended up a walking zombie, falling asleep at night when I was nursing. It's hard if your house was really clean before baby, i've lowered my standards!! As long as the dishes get done, you have clean clothes and there's no mould growing in the bathroom i'd just relax and enjoy your daughter, My son is 5 mos now, and I already miss that tiny little bundle that was so sweet.
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 6:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I am a single mom and just managed. I did what I could when the baby napped and the rest could wait. I did manage to do very well though. I packed to move, fed my oldest, and cleaned.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 6:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I didn't think it was hard at all. My daughter nursed like 18 hours a day. I just kept her in my sling and she nursed while I cleaned, cooked, sewed, did whatever I needed to do. Why don't you get a sling? All newborns do it eat and sleep and poop, lol. Why is it so hard?
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 6:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• for the first two weeks it was meals premaid lol and people would bring a dinner once or twice a week. i had a c section and got pnemonia 3 days after i came home. so i was wiped out not to mention my daughter wook up every 2 hours! but after that dinner was done everyday but sunday and the house suffered a little for a month but my husband helped pick up . but now its all on track i just had to find a balance and get some more sleep lol
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 6:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I did everything when they slept or when my dh was home to help watch them. I think my house was in disarray maybe the first week. I always had someone with me though like my mom, then when she left I had a maid for the first 2 weeks who came in to help out. Otherwise I probably would have gone insane.

Answer by gemgem at 6:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2009