Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there such a law?

So I answered a post last night about immigration. A poster there said that those who immigrate legally do NOT have to pay taxes for the first 7 years they are here. I am wondering if this is true. I doesn't seem to be true, just a ploy to get people to be against immigration. But if it is true, is it for all types of visas? Is it all forms of tax (asking b/c she stated the immigrants also do not have to pay taxes on cars.)? Is it a proposed law?
What do you know about this?

Answer Question

Asked by 3earthangels at 6:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • No that doesnt sound right. My nanny was from the UK and had come over to the states with her mom who married an american man. Her mom worked and paid taxes. My nanny had been here since she was 16. I hired her at 18 and she had a work visa. She paid taxes I had to give her forms showing she worked and how much she earned so she could give them to her mother. So that doesnt SOUND right? I do know that by the time she was 21 she had a green card and with that YOU DO pay taxes. My grandma had one and always paid taxes.

    Answer by gemgem at 6:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • In fact heres an article on it

    Answer by gemgem at 6:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • I heard that people from other countries can come here and do business for 7 years like you
    heard tax free? so I am curious.Because you do see alot of ARAB stores. Do you notice who charges you sales tax?

    Answer by summerray5 at 6:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • That's exactly what I thought. DH payes taxes & always has. I told her it was indeed false, but got me thinking that maybe it was a proposed law.

    Answer by 3earthangels at 6:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • They do get a tax break and I am not sure if it is for 7 years but they do have a set time frame where they get a tax break on their businesses. That is why many people speculated when an Arabic run or an Indian run store would change it's name, especially if it happened frequently.

    Answer by micrespo at 6:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • I don't think it's personal taxes, it's if you start a business. I know small businesses get some breaks, I'm not sure what it has to do with immigration.

    Answer by lovinangels at 10:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • I think it's more for people with working passes, those people I do not believe pay taxes (they aren't citizens, but are legally here).

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.