OMG

ok my mil thinks she can call my kids whatever she wants. She gave my 1st daughter the name Lexi. When her name is Payton. She only calls her Lexi. WE said that she could call her that but AFTER she was 2 and she knew the difference NOT when she was little and learning her name. She is now 1 and has done it her whole life. Now I have another daughter she will be 1m on sat. She has decided she is going to call her Lissy??? (that is how she spells it) And her name is Melissa. How do I get her to stop?!! I want her resoect what I say when it comes to my children and she never has. (other things not going into it)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• you should be straight forward and tell her to stop calling your children something other then their given names.
    YamahaGoddess

Answer by YamahaGoddess at 6:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• WE have and she still does it. She HATES me she is doing it just to spite me and because she has to have everything her way.
    Anonymous

• Why do you still hang out with this woman? I mean, I know she is your kid's grandma, but if there were no relation, there would be no contact. That is complete and utter disrespect. If your hubby insists that the kids see grandma, then he can take them and keep her in line. You shouldn't have to be in the middle of this.
    squish

Answer by squish at 6:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Why hasn't your husband taken care of this?
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 7:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• He says That is not a reason for me to not see her too. So she come over to our house whenever she wants. I dont have a say when it comes to his family.
    Anonymous

• Am I in the riht to be upset about it though or am going overboard?
    Anonymous

• I think shes doing it to rake your nerves and youre falling right into her trap LOL. I would tell her you dont call them that and although you appreciate the cute pet names for them that they are getting older and are going to wonder if she suffers from dementia.

Answer by gemgem at 7:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Your husband should be standing up to his family for you. So yes, you should be upset. Tell him that if he insists on letting her come over whenever she wants, you are going to go shopping when she comes over. Kiss him and be nice and leave and go shopping. Leave the kids with him. Don't be snotty, be nice, but he should not be letting this go on. Your MIL is doing it to prove that you have no control.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 7:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• You have a right to be upset. Your husband certainly should take care of it. Tell him if he doesn't you will, and he will not like the way you do it. I would be very blunt with her, tell her you know it must be hard remembering names at her age but you won't have them confused. Write them down for her and tell her she can come back when she memorizes them.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 7:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I went through something similar with my in laws. My son is a 3rd and i only agreed that we would name him after his dad IF we did not use his nickname. (hubby is called Jimi and son is James). My MIL respected this, but other family members did not. I had no problem correcting them each and every time they called my son Jimi. I would say "his name is James". And guess what?!?! About a month ago (son was 2 in Oct.) someone called him Jimi, and my son said "No! That Jimi (and pointed to his dad) I James!" I was never happy! You should've seen thier faces! LOL. Now, they all call him James. It may take a while, but keep after them to use the girls real names, and eventually if they don't stop, the girls will correct them on their own. But, your hubby should be with you on this! Its not about the actual name thing....its about your MIL RESPECTING your decisions when it comes to YOUR kids!!!!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2009