Is some breast feeding better than none?

I'm due in Aug. with my first child. I know the benifits of breast feeding and would like to try. Here is the catch, I work full time and will only have 6 weeks at home with the little one before I have to go back to work. I am the first person from work to ever go out for maternity leave and do not know how open they would be to the idea of me taking time out of my day to pump. Is breast feeding for the 6 weeks I am home going to be a good enough start for my babys health?

krisp83

Asked by krisp83 at 6:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Any breastfeeding is better then none. You can always nurse at home and do bottles while at work too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Yes that is better then nothing. but they HAVE to let you go and pump. To my understanding. They cannot tell you you cant.
    Anonymous

• Yes, any is better than none. There are states that have laws protecting women who want to pump at work.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 7:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Go check out the Le Leche League's website, seriously. Most states have laws stating that you can take time to pump... so look it up. Some breastfeeding is better than none though. There are however many women who work full time and do pump as well.

Also, once the baby is born, pump after each feeding to get a freezer stash started! You have 6 weeks and can build a nice stash :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Yes, and don't feel guilty if it doesn't work out the way you planned. I was in a similar situation, but once I started pumping, I realized it took about 20 minutes to do and I had to do it every 2-3 hours. That didn't include the time to clean the breast pump, etc. Sure there are state laws, but it was simply inconceivable for me to spend 15 minutes of every hour of my work day for pumping. I wasn't getting my work done and it was impossible for me to schedule meetings.

In the end, I switched to formula, but I feel good knowing that I gave my baby six good weeks of breastfeeding. She is a happy, healthy baby.

So don't feel guilty if you switch to formula. If you do decide to pump when you go back to work, I wouldn't lead in the discussion to my employer with "you HAVE to, it's the law," especially if you're not sure it is the law. Only 20 or so states actually have these laws.
    aubreysmomlv

Answer by aubreysmomlv at 7:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I breastfeed and sometimes I supplement with formula when I'm at work. I do use a pump. I usually pump as soon as I get home from work, just because I feel funny doing it at work. I'll pump on one side & let her eat from the other. I also wanted to tell you that if you do pump at work it only takes 10 minutes. I did it a couple of times on my break in the bathroom at work. I'd rather do it at home, before & after work. I hope I was helpful
    edenmarie1

Answer by edenmarie1 at 7:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• if pumping becomes an issue you can always offer formula when you are apart and nurse once you are together again.
    many working mothers have issues with pumping and for that reason they end up giving up on breastfeeding all together.

but yes, to answer your question, some is better than none.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Yes its better than none. But if Im not mistaken there is some kind of a law requiring them to let you pump. Talk to your boss and tell them Look this is the situation. I would appreciate it if you would let me pump. You are required to have breaks and a lunch and you can pump then. And during the six weeks get a supply built up if you can in your freezer. That s what I did but I still pump when I do work. Also, you will get engorged if you don't pump. So youkinda have to if you want to Breastfeed at all.Good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2009