ok stupid economy question

alright- no poking fun at me b/c this sounds kinda dumb- but if the prices on things were lowered to where we could afford them again then that would help get us out of the recession right? no one can afford shit anymore so thats why we arent spending which is furthering the recession

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No, because then the companies making and selling the things couldn't afford to pay their employees.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Businesses are also looking at a raise in taxes. Small business owners are going to be taxed more which is resulting in people losing their jobs. My friends company is a perfect example. They have a tattoo/piercing business. They have someone on staff that does errands, helps around etc. They had to let them go. Instead she picks up the slack and brings her kids into work. This also meant her babysitter lost her job. See how that works? They have also had to raise prices to cover additional taxes coming down the pike, living expenses for themselves and do away with health insurance for their workers.

Answer by gemgem at 7:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• they cant afford to pay their employees because people are not spending as much money, because everything is jacked up in price, gas prices, bread is 3 bucks a loaf and still.... no one gets it.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 7:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• prices went up for the manufacturers, distributors, retailers, etc. as well, not just the consumers. So, if we pay less, they make less and not only can't afford their employees, but can't afford to make or sell the products anymore.
    More than the price of goods being unaffordable, the problem is that the dollar no longer has any value. The government "pumping" billions of dollars into the economy only further diminishes the value of the dollar, making the problems worse.
    I don't know the answers, but I know what we're doing isn't it!
    Anonymous

• The companies raise their prices because the farmers, manufacturers, suppliers raised their prices, because fuel is so expensive. Everyone is affected, not just us because of the grocery store, does that make sense?
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 7:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• nothing is really making any sense...right now, the price on the barrel of gas has come down, but the price of gas is up and creeping up again. At Christmas "they" let the gas prices go down...so consumers would spend money for the holidays....so something isn't right. And yes it is More than just the grocery store.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 7:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• The mfg era is what helped alot of Americian families have good paying jobs. As those disappear we lose those incomes. Some are just to old to learn anything else. Others are like myself and DH and not waiting on the government to fix things. We found where the market shifted to and are switching careers. We are doing it now. I wanted to be a nail techician and a stylist but the market is no longer supporting women spending $100 a month on hair or $25-50 a month on nails. So I switched. We stopped joining in on the doom and gloom. We took the action required to help our family survive and we are moving ahead.

Gemgem your friend controls her own destiney if they want to whine about taxes that are current or future then she will be laying people off. Maybe keep those people and go advertise. I personally want to one day pay a million in taxes because it means I am making more then enough for my family.

Anonymous

• cont' Also there was a guy before the recession hit told his bosses he was going to sell the most cars in 2008 then he ever sold in his 14 year career. Then the auto industry went south and they figured he would not be able to win the bet. He sucked it up, reinvented the wheel for selling cars and moved the most cars in 2008 and he won the bet. It is possible its just you have to work harder for the same results but it is still possible.
    Anonymous

• no, it would not help. building factories in america though could help lower the prices of some products (less shipping fees/tariffs) plus it would help create job, and hold jobs. etc. that's what we need to do.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• sorry, shows coming on in 5 mins.. pm me if you want to talk more anyone.
    xxhazeldovexx