baby food?

my son is 4 months old. he is big for his age, wheighing 16 pounds. Do you think it is time to start him on cereal or stage one baby food? he is breast fed. He loves to suck on apples, and carrots, but is he too yung for babyfood?

momofaprodigy

Asked by momofaprodigy at 7:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The typical answer your going to get on here is nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months. Some mothers on the other hand, including myself, and my pedi say to start them out on either cereal or stage ones. Try a new one every week or so to make sure there are no allergies.
    Anonymous

• My son was the same weight at 4 months and breastfed as well. I didn't want to start solids to early becuz their digestive tracts aren't quite ready. They say that sometimes they can develop allergies if you give them food to early. I started giving solids to my son at 5 1/2 months becuz he was drinking ALOT and i could hear alot of liquid in his stomach after he ate, like he was still hungry but he needed something solid in it. you can check out wholesomebabyfoods.com that's a good website!
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 7:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i would be careful with carrots, they have nitrate in them and young babies can't fight it off like older babies can. It'll tell you about on wholesom baby foods.com
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 7:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My answer is no. Nurse, on demand.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Yeah so he could know how other foods taste!!
    Moneshia

Answer by Moneshia at 7:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• is your baby ready for solids?
    * Baby can sit up well without support.
    * Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    * Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    * Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    * Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html
    heatherama

• look for ALL of the signs of readiness before introducing solids.
    heatherama

• I started feeding mine at 5 months but my advice is when you are feeding him VEGTABLES first
    if you start with fruit they will get used to the sugar and not like vegtables
    LoganBear

Answer by LoganBear at 10:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2009