Is this wrong of me?

To go out and shovel my driveway while my 9 month old daughter naps or is in bed, in her nice safe crib? It takes me at the most 40 mintues, usually 30, and that's with me coming in half way done and making sure she is okay and still asleep, and to warm up. My husband works long late hours and I figure it's the least I can do. The reason I ask, is my MIL just drove by as I was finishing up (she has to drive past our house to get to hers) and she called and asked where my daughter was at? And I told her in bed, and she flipped out! So, is that wrong of me to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• If all your doors are locked so no creepy people can get in, and you are checking on her no...its not like you left her to run to the store...you were right out side
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 7:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I don't think so. It's not like you went to the store or something. What are you suppose to do, stand there and watch her sleep. But if it will make everyone feel better, do you have a baby monitor that you can take outside with you? I personally don't feel it's necessary, but maybe it would be a nice compromise. That's only if your DH has an issue with it. If he's OK with it, then it's a non-issue. If MIL has that big a problem with it, then ask her to come shovel your driveway while you stay inside with your DD.
    Anonymous

• It's wrong of your Mother-In-Law to question your parenting skills. Her son needs to call her and tell her to back off. You are okay with what you did. Would it be wrong if you were in the basement doing laundry and cleaning up down there while she was 2 levels away napping?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I would lock the doors and take a baby moniter out with you but I do not see the problem with it. You gotta do what you gotta do
    Anonymous

• Tell your MIL that if she's so concerned about it then she can shovel the driveway while you stay inside with the baby lol. There's nothing wrong with it. I would just make sure you lock the door so no weird people can come in and take a baby monitor out with you so that you can hear if she wakes up.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• No its not wrong of you at all. I probably would have told her well you come shovel it while I sit in the house on my tail. You cant send every waking moment in a babies face. There are houshold chores and etc. As long as the baby is in a safe place and you can hear her it is fine. Dont let it bother you. Somehow those that arent the parents always have so much to say lol.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 8:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Nope, you check on her and shes in a crib. Its not like you are down the block or something.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It sound weird but I have a baby monitor that also vibrates in case its noisy, or a car drives by it works really well and i used it all the time when my kids were still in cribs( when I was gardening, etc)
    Jessiemay999

Answer by Jessiemay999 at 9:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Our monitor also flashes color if they move or make sounds that I cannot hear as in cutting the grass or something like that. She had no right to question you. You were right there.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2009