Children's right to privacy?

Do you believe that your children have a right to privacy or is it a privilege? If you feel your child is lying or messing around you have a right to snoop. But what about just randomly going into their room & looking, even if they aren't giving you a reason. My mom's friend decided to do that once. Her DD was a straight A student, active member of her church group, never gave her any trouble, but because of something she read in Dear Abby, she decided just to snoop one day & found out her DD was the school slut & did drugs. If they're not giving you a reason to doubt, maybe it's not because they're doing what they're suppose to, maybe they're just really good at hiding what they're doing. As parents don't you think it's our right to check up on them periodically? Don't you think we should be have access to their email and MySpace pages? I'm not saying we should always be in our kids business, just check up every now & again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• My DD wil grow up with me knowing ALL her business...it is my right as her parent whether she acts good or bad.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 7:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Kids don't have rights, they have privileges. As long as they are underage, everything they do is your responsibility. It's your job to keep your eyes open and your mind knowing at all times. There's a way to do it so they'll never know, and won't be able to think you're snooping and then feel forced to hide things.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My children have a right to food, shelter and clothing. They have a right to be educated in the way I see fit. Privacy? No way!! They can have privacy when they pay their own bills. Until then I am in charge and I will know their business. Where are you going? Who with? How long? And I expect a call if they change locations. It is my job to keep them safe.
    4angelsformommy

Answer by 4angelsformommy at 7:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My son will have a right to privacy when he is on his own paying his own way.
    Anonymous

• In my house the only privacy is in my bedroom! I went through the exact scenario you descibed and had I been NOSIER I would have known more. Now in my home there are no locked doors, I will even take off door knobs if its necessary. I go through book bags, purses, under mattresses and anywhere I see fit. When my daughter left for Job Corps I even packed her bag myslef, locked it in my car and slept with my key...why because she treid to sneak provactive ripped up booty shorts and cleavage showers. Had them rolled down into pants legs of jeans. So I think parents have every right to be nosy, snoop and whatever else they need to do to keep their kids in line.It could be saving their life.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 8:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Not to mention randomly and at any moment I will take the cell phone and check texts....why again lol too many kids are taking pics of their private areas or doing things and sending them out. Once a guy sent a text saying suck my d*** and that was the content of the text so guess what happened to the phone....took a hammer to it! You have to BE A PARENT.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 8:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I agree completely!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It's a privilege they earn and can easily lose.

If I try to be my child's friend, don't snoop and pry, then who is to blame when she is abducted by a 40 year old man she met on the internet? Who is to blame when she turns up pregnant at 13 by the 19 year old she's been texting every night at 2am? I'm the PARENT, not the best friend or a casual acquaintance. It's my job to keep her safe and teach her to keep herself safe so when she turns 18 and DOES have a right to privacy, she won't go bonkers and get hurt.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Its a privilege that is earned. Privacy only pertains to whats going on in the bathroom or changing clothes. Everything else is fair game as long as they are under 18 and/or if I'm paying thier bills.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Its a privileged. I am paying for the house in which her.his room is therefore its my room to go into. I am teaching them now, if I buy it then it is mine and I am allowing them to use it. If I want to take and give it away that is my right as the owner of whatever it is. And if they buy it and it comes in my house I can look through it because again, its my house.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2009