Hypocrit...

As a believer, or a non-believer, does it bother you when a person responds to your post using religion as a defense or does it bother you more when you see a Christian being judgemental and unforgiving or any other religion going against what they are supposed to be all about? I have no problem with a person using their faith as a reasonable argument. I do, however, have a problem when that same religious person trashes everyone else on the thread and being a Christian myself, I think that it creates the notion that we are hypocrits...your thoughts?

micrespo

Asked by micrespo at 7:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Case in point. Someone who called me out then blocked me from responding. unless I were to take up valuable space in the posted question itself. Not that I am fond of doing so. At any rate I am going to shake some people up. God is a jealous god. He says so a few times over. I can find the exact verses, but you should already know them. Then God says that jealousy is a sin. How hypocritical is that. I suppose that means god will be in both heaven and hell so does it really matter..probably not. I guess certain christians are just following by example.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I think Christians are meant to love everybody (neighbors, friends, strangers, enemies, family, etc...) I think that when Christian answers a question judgementally that it undermines what we are supposed to teach to the world. We are called to be an example. I think it is sad that so many think Christians are hypocrits based on the small amount that actually are... It really makes my heart sad..
    4angelsformommy

Answer by 4angelsformommy at 7:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I have a problem (as an Agnostic) when anyone; regardless of religion; uses their beliefs to be rude and condesending to people who ask questions or need help. I don't like it when "Christians" say something like "well if you were a good person/believed in god/weren't such a sinner,etc then _____would/wouldn't have happened". And i don't like it when someone who is atheist/agnostic/pagan/wiccan, etc really tries to ridicule a person who has a religious belief thats more "mainstream". I think that we should all keep an open mind and heart. If you can't answer nicely, then don't get involved in the first place!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It bothers me more to see a self-proclaimed Christian attack, judge, or criticize others, about their beliefs or life style. It is NOT the duty of a Christian to do any of those things.  Our duty is to set an example by loving, caring, and being helpful, to those who aren't followers of Christ. The old saying "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar" stands so true in these situations.

ashandamymom

Answer by ashandamymom at 7:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It bothers me when people arent open minded enough to understand that not everyone sees things as they do so they either dismiss it as devil stuff or they act as if they didnt hear that persons comment or they just jump and judge before really knowing anything about the other persons beliefs.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 8:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• it bothers me more when ppl are doing the opposite of what their religion says they should do...and when you call them out they get all pissy. or when someone argues my religion w/ me when they are not/never have been my religion.

if someone says "i do ____ b/c God says too" thats just fine w/ me. but when they say 'YOU should do _____ b/c God says too" that ticks me off. like the ever popular "if you had kept your legs closed you wouldn't be in this situation" line...why is it necessary to say that? how are you helping?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I prefer to see people replying to the actual question posted rather than attacking someone else's comment. I don't mind when they use their religion or it's texts as an arguement as long as it applies to the post. It bothers me more when they do opposite of what their beliefs teach or when they use their beliefs to call someone else wrong. Just because it's truth to you doesn't mean it's truth to everyone. Accept that and maybe we'd get along better.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• the bible says, "judge not least you be judged".. THE WICCAN REDE (short version) Bide the Wiccan Law ye must, In perfect love, in perfect trust. Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill: An ye harm none, do as ye will. And ever mind the rule of three: What ye send out comes back to thee. Follow this with mind and heart, And merry ye meet, and merry ye part. Buddist/Hindu laws Karmic law (moral laws) concerning action and its result.

and so on..a HUGE majority of religions are against the judgment of others.  But if you judge, you will reap what you sow.. karma will come back.. etc. So let them be judgmently, they will have to life with themselves because of their actions/sins.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I think everyone is a hypocrite in reality - these are all pretty judgmental and inflammatory replies to someone who doesn't agree with any of you. Hypocrisy is a fact of life, that's why we NEED God's grace and mercy ;-)

Jesus said not to let the sun go down on our anger, and that,YES, we are to judge the character of those we know and meet to see what spirit they be of. That's not judgmental ... that's common sense! We are also to forgive time and time again - without end.

So to sit and pass judgment of others without understanding their TOTAL OUTLOOK is being hypocritical ...

... like the above {non-judgmental} posts. LOL!

snowgirl79

Answer by snowgirl79 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I agree with 2autisticsmom
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 12:20 AM on Feb. 5, 2009