My son is going to be three in the begining of April and he just lost 7 lbs in a month.. Should I be worried or am I over reacting? hES ALWAYS BEEN A TINY BOY NOW HES DOWN TO 27 LBS..

OxKaydensMomxO

Asked by OxKaydensMomxO at 7:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Um, yeah...call a doctor. It's not normal to lose that much weight.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I would be worried about that.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Def make a dr. appointment.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Yes he needs to be seen by a doctor. Have his eating habits changed? Has he been ill? Sore throat? Cold, flu? Don't panic. You are doing the right thing to notice this weight loss and to get him checked out.

Answer by Bmat at 7:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• He has always been a fussy eater.. He never wants to eat we have to force him.. but thats normal! He also has a Patent Ductus Arteriosus.. Which if you dont know its just a whole in his heart. I didnt know if maybe that had anything to do with it.
    OxKaydensMomxO

Answer by OxKaydensMomxO at 7:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Talk to his doctor. Find out if his doctor is OK with supplementing what he eats with things like pediasure.
    Also talk to his doctor about his picky eating habits. Yes, it's normal. But the more you force him to eat, the more he will resist. Which means you have to force him more, so he resists more, etc, etc, etc.
    If (that's IF) your doctor says it's OK, let him eat if he's hungry. Offer good foods - no junk - at all meals and snacks and if he eats anything, great. If he doesn't, it's his choice. Healthy, normal kids will eat when they are hungry. BUT since your little one is losing weight and has a congential heart problem, be sure to clear this with his doctor first.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I would def. take him to the doctor.
    nichole579

Answer by nichole579 at 10:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I would take him to the doctor, exspecially seeing as how much weight he has lost in just a month. My daughter has had feeding issues since birth, and was inbetween the 3rd and 5th percentile on the weight chart. Is he normally high on the weight chart? Im assuming not, seeing as how he has always been petite? Have they monitered his weight on a regular basis? I was able to get my daughter to have a feeding tube put in place. It took some time for the doctors to listen to me, but it was worth it! She had it for a little over 1 year,and it was removed last July. Ever since she had it she gained weight! She is 3 years old and weighs 28 pounds! Some kids are also just smaller than others, and their is nothing that anyone can do about it. But I would want to talk to my doctor just incase their is an underlying factor for his weight loss! Good Luck
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• DEF.take him to de dr. and are you the one giving him his meals all the time or he goes to day care or someone else had being doing it for you? because not everyone has the patient to sit with a child to make shure they eat what they need that happened to me with a babysitter...
    4reasons2smile

Answer by 4reasons2smile at 6:10 PM on Feb. 10, 2009