At what age can a child be expected to sit through a movie at a theater?

We took my 4 year old for the first time over the weekend and he lasted maybe 15 minutes. It was a 60 minute kid's movie during the "family" matinee so it wasn't a problem but he was one of the oldest kids there and all the other kids sat pretty quietly through the entire thing. I know all kids are different, but what's the average age that this can be "expected"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Aug. 13, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd say no earlier than 4 for a kid's movie.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:27 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

• at least 5
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

• I have no clue. My daughter is 6-1/2 and it is still a bit of a struggle to get her to sit still during a movie. Half the time she's up changing seats or sitting on the floor (we sit in front where there is a metal railing and she sits there and hangs her feet off the edge).or using the seat beside of her to lay down. She does it quietly, so I don't feel the need to remove her from the theater, but yeah...she has a hard time sitting still. But she also deals with ADHD.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

• By 4 they should be able to sit through a 60 min movie, definitely by kindergarten. Start with having him watch DVD's at home. Don't load them up on sugary treats at the movies. Put in healthy snacks in your purse so they have something to munch on at the movies or nothing at all.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 4:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

• It depends on the movie, and the child. My son is almost 9 and been good at the movies for a few year now; as long as it's one he's interested in. My daughter is 5 and been going to movies for about a year. The last movie we saw as a family was Brave. She did ok. The bears scared her, and she wasn't as into the movie as her brother, but she sat through it.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

• I took my oldest when he was 3 to a Winnie the Pooh movie (I think it was the Heffalump movie) and he did great. My kids are now 11 & 8 and we've been going for a couple of years now, and they both have ADHD and can sit still and be quiet. Now, if they aren't into the movie, it's harder for them, but usually I just remind them that other people paid for the movie too and we can't be rude and ruin it for them and they generally settle down.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

• Depends on the kid my daughter 2yr old sits through the movies already my son took him til he turned 5 to sit through a movie at the theatre
    supgrl87

Answer by supgrl87 at 6:13 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

• DS sat through a full movie at 3. If he enjoys it he will watch it all the way through. Other kids I know are 6 and 7 and still can't sit through a full movie. I guess an average age would be around 5.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

• I think it depends on each child. Does he sit through a whole movie at home? MY SIL took all 5 of my kids to the movies this weekend. I told her that I thought my youngest was too young, but she insisted. She is almost 2. I was told she did great.
    Amanda0712

Answer by Amanda0712 at 8:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

• mine were 2 1/2 and 3

my tip: starve them. seriously. most of the day. and dole the popcorn out in little batches. and encourage standing/dancing during music parts.

my kids are now 6 and 71/2 and we goto a TON of movies. my secret now is arriving early, usually while the cleaning crew is still in there. i allow them to run laps up and down the stairs and aisles and act ridiculous. that is, of course, until anyone comes in. :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:39 PM on Aug. 13, 2012