American Doll question 2 of 2

do you think a girl age 6 years 6 months of age could emotionally handle a Christmas morning where her brother has a pile of 10-15 presents and she is handed only an American Doll gift card?

1) she's made it clear it's ALL she wants (but I question her understanding of the reality of NOTHING ELSE)

2) she'd have her choice of either creating her own online (immediately, on Xmas day if she'd like) or waiting two days (weather permitting... snow season!) to drive to the American Doll store

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 8:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2012 in Shopping

• American Girl dolls? I think if it is ALL she wants and ever wants then yes she could probably deal with it, but would you really get your other kid 10-15 toys vs her ONE? why not get them each ONE really big gift?
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 8:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

• her brothers needs are different.... his list includes a more complete boxcar children book set than the one he has now, an ant farm, and many many MANY very specific little hot wheels things. the $$$ amounts would be the same, almost to the penny. his 10-15 gifts wouldn't be "crazy" or excessive.
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

• I don't think at 6 1/2 she is capable of actually grasping Christmas morning with only 1 gift as she watches her brother opening ALL of his. Maybe you could add a couple of more very inexpensive gifts in addition to the American Doll gift card?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

• If one kid got an expensive gift for chanukah an inexpensive item was used to fill in on the other days. My dd needed socks so along with her $150 gift, I got her a pack of 10 socks from Costco and she got a pair of socks each night or something else that she really needed but wouldn't think of as a gift.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

• What about hitting the dollar store and picking out a few other items for her that are inexpensive. You can also pick up clothes for her doll with coupons at Michael's and Joann's. Joann's has a much larger selection.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:18 AM on Aug. 14, 2012

• I'd say no. I always get my kids the same amount of gifts, not the same amount of money spent. I spend more on my teenager, but everyone opens the same amount of gifts. And if you get the american girl doll, why not find out the exact doll she wants before, and have that doll there as a gift? Better than a gift card, I think.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2012

• You can find great clothes that fit american girl dolls on amazon for very cheap.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2012

• ?
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 12:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2012