Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Why does he have to report child support to the credit bureau?

Just received a letter from the credit bureau :/
And how would he go about writing a letter to prove he has completed the child support? The kids are grown up now past 18 years of age.

Thank you ladies :)

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2012 in Adult Children (18+)

Answers (8)
  • Is there some sort of judgement on his report?

    Answer by meooma at 8:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

  • I assume he was behind at one time? He needs to have a judge sign that he has completed his obligations, he doesn't have to report that he was having to make child support, but if he got behind it was reported to them.

    Answer by kimigogo at 8:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

  • He did get behind (bc hours at work were cut but made little payments here and there) and finally caught up and now he is done.
    He's already done the calculations on it to make sure he was not behind.

    What's the next step? Ugh!

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

  • He should have a divorce decree stating the amount he was to pay in, and a judge should sign off, he will most likely need his ex-wife to affirm he paid in full. Call your lawyer and ask him/her what to do, but the will need some reciept that it has been paid,, now that being said the "late" payments will stay on his credit, even if the account was paid in full.

    Answer by kimigogo at 9:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

  • Child support that isn't paid is just like any other bill - after a certain time, it gets reported to the credit bureaus. It will, like other bills, continue to show that he was, at one time, behind and/or made late payments. If it's still showing as an outstanding debt that he owes on, I'd say he'll either need to go in front of a judge to get a new order showing that he's paid up, or get in touch with whoever deals with child support in that state (in FL, it's the State Disbursement Unit, and/or the Clerk of Courts) and find out why they haven't updated it to reflect the correct status. It might be that his calculations are off, or they may have made an error somewhere.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 9:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

  • Have you tried calling the local child support enforcement office to make sure that it's been completely paid up? If so, they should be able to give you a letter of completion to give to the credit agencies.

    Answer by missanc at 9:26 AM on Aug. 14, 2012

  • Because it is considered marked income. It has to go to Child support and can't be used for anything else.

    Answer by robinkane at 4:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

  • What wendy said.

    Answer by booklover545 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 30, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.