Does this sound completely insane to you too?

I got an email earlier from my oldest DD's school district about registering for the bus. It's not something I planned to do but, I was completely shocked when I saw the price: $175 per student, per semester. So, that would be $350 a year!

Is it just me or is that crazy? It's for public school, not private.

3libras

Asked by 3libras at 11:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2012 in

• Isn't that what tax dollars are for? My kid wouldn't ever ride the bus.
    SaraD1989

Answer by SaraD1989 at 12:30 AM on Aug. 14, 2012

• Are you serious! ! I would get a group of moms together and bombard the school board and ask them where in the hell your taxes for the district are going!! When our boys were in high school and drove, we had to pay a 10.00 fee for parking and that was for the WHOLE school year!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:53 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

• WOW we used to be in that district years ago. I would take it to the board, That is over the top.

Here is a point also. Many of the poorer children are the ones in most need of the transportation services. Since the law requires everychild not on have access ti education but actually attend the school and prohibitive fees will make it inmpossible for all those students to attend. Since tax dollar funding is based on the actual number of bodies in the chairs learning for any given number of hours. Loss in students being able to get to school means loss of revenue for the school.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:15 AM on Aug. 14, 2012

• That's normal here.... but yours is a bit cheaper. Here it's $250/student with a family max of $400... public school. It's that or higher in the surrounding towns.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:19 AM on Aug. 14, 2012

• I'm shocked!! I would be making some serious changes in that school board when elections roll around. I would also write a letter to the newspaper. What are the poorer families going to do? I know we could not afford THAT. I would be pissed.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 7:04 AM on Aug. 14, 2012

• That's NUTS! Our boys go to public school, and the bus is free... They hate riding it though, so I take and pick them up.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

• Wow..the day they charge a bus fee will be the last day my DD will ride..i understand why they do iy..but that price is high!
    ninjanessa

Answer by ninjanessa at 11:56 PM on Aug. 13, 2012

• I live in Texas also, that is crazy! I would hope all parents would not use the bus if they charge fees like that.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 12:25 AM on Aug. 14, 2012

• WOW!!!! All of the schools around us only have 1-2 buses. Most of the kids attending these schools have never set foot on one except for filed trips. What are they going to do if you can't afford to pay? Are they going to keep the kids from attending school when that is the only form of transportation? That is illegal!
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:56 AM on Aug. 14, 2012

• That's nuts. Our district did away w/ bussing for under 2 miles & for the HS altogether. When they had mtgs. w/ parents, I suggested selling advertising space on the busses like they do for city busses. That would help pay for transportation costs. Have they done it? NO. I can't imagine too many parents being able to afford that outrageous fee to have their kids ride the bus. My guess is you will see a lot of car pooling going on. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:15 AM on Aug. 14, 2012