How do you deal with a child that will not tell the truth even if you catch him in a lie????

kimmi1

Asked by kimmi1 at 7:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• You remove all privileges. Even the ones where he is allowed to be at his friends house or have them over. Yup, if he can't be civil in a relationship to you, then he can't be trusted to be in a relationship with friends. You can say it that way to him to make sense of it to him. Everything starts at home, and if he can't be proper there, then he has no business going outside the home (except to school).
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Did you find out why the child was lying? Sometimes there is more to the story! I do believe that your should remove some of the privileges from the child, but you need to find out the queston to why! Once you find out the why than you can find the solution to the question why he/she is lying!
    Atsa123

Answer by Atsa123 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• has he always lied? There is something called Executive Function Disorder and kids with that tend to lie and have no remorse over doing it. Also, there are other disorders that can cause a child to lie. Perhaps he just does it bc he can. Some kids like lying for the attention they get when they get busted. Maybe he just wants some attention. Try giving it to him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Don't ask him any questions...just address what you KNOW is the truth. Take away the power of his lies. Don't wait for him to tell the truth. Tell him you KNOW the truth and you are going to address it. Don't let the lies control you by reacting to them.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:19 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• we had a similar issue with my SS. the way we got past it was call him on it every time. tell the child you are going to check his story out with whoever else was involved (teacher, relative, sibling, etc) and if the story didn't match they would be punished. or tell him you heard there was an incident and you wanted to hear what happened from him first and then would check with the other party and if it didn't match with the story you got they would be punished. my SS doesn't lie anymore.
    Anonymous

• liarBelieve me this is the normal age for lying. Not that is acceptable but it does get better. My son is 13 and he went through the lying stage about everything and would deny it till he was blue in the face. it was from around 10 to 12. Just make sure he knows you know he is lying. choose your battles carefully and let him slide a little bit, it will get better. Hang in there and keep your sense of humor. Keep a journal you will get a laugh outta him in a few years;)

pepperannrocks

Answer by pepperannrocks at 9:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I once told my son I was going to take him to a skatepark, when he was ready to go I told sorry I LIED!!! I gave him a taste of his own medicine. Also, make sure the punishment fits the crime..
    pepperannrocks

Answer by pepperannrocks at 9:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2009