What to do? losing insurance on the 7th.

Dh got Laid off work! Today's mail said unless we keep it up per Cobra & payments we lose it on the 7th! Wow not much time at all to decide! We can't afford it! We live in WI. Have you gone through this? What would you do or did you do? Every year I hope we get ahead so I can go to the doctors & dentist for issues & never can!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 7:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Health

• I'd pay the Cobra fee if you can. I know it's hard, but give up internet, cable, luxuries, etc. so you can have health insurance! Sorry to hear about this...best wishes.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 7:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Thank you but cobra; I don't understand that! We live in the rural! We haven't turned our furnace on it years! Cold WI. We have No Cable. Old Rabbit Ears & old Tv's & appliances from the '80's! I have Slow Dial up internet to stay in touch with my Daughters & here! Its my only Luxery! I've gone without all my life & am used to that! Thank you for Replying & Caring!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 7:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I had the same problem and I lived in CA. I could NOT afford COBRA payments of almost $800.00 a month for just myself. This was happened nine years ago and at that time my disability was $680.00 a month! Hmmn. . . choosing between eating, paying rent, or buying insurance, it was simple to see which one had to be let go.

I would like to offer an opportunity where you don't have to rely on others for your insurance as you would have the chance to get ahead like you wanted. There is no sales, collections, or billing involved, and the company is in the Better Business Bureau in all fifty states, as well as endorsed by the US Chamber of Commerce. Go to the following website~ shop2save.fourpointmoms.com and look around, and then fill out the contact form.
    Anonymous

• I haven't had insurance since I've been married. I have to pay in cash when I absolutely have to get to a Dr. I rarely go and the dentist I can forget about, it is way to expensive.
    HKing01

Answer by HKing01 at 12:33 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• We went 2 years without insurance. It is very scary, but there are things you can do. 1st off don't panic. When we had to go to the doctor, we saw our family doctor who had a physicians assistant. It cost $65 to see the assistant and we usually ended up being given samples of medications we needed (usually for sinus infections). Also print the list of $4 Walmart medicines and take that with you to the doctor any time you have to go. Make some calls (try 211) to see if there are any sliding scale or free clinics in your area. We didn't have any, but there are many out there. Next contact the department of family and child services. Find out if your state has a program for health insurance for uninsured adults. Indiana started one last year and we were able to get on it. We pay $30/mo each ($60/mo total) and we have full coverage. Don't make the mistake of going to the ER for things that can be taken care of at a dr.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:50 AM on Feb. 5, 2009