Were you married by a Clerk of the Peace?

We are trying to figure out who will marry us. A Clerk of the Peace is only $20. A woman online we have looked at is $250 but seems like she would be more personalized but I don't know if it's worth the cost.

TanyaR1024

Asked by TanyaR1024 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• A justice of the peace married us, Im not sure if thats the same as a "clerk of the peace". She took donations, so we gave her $50 and she came to the church that we wanted to get married at.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• asholan 07- how was your experience with her? Why didn't you use the minister?
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• People interested in peace ...never preform marriage ceremonies.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 8:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• We were married by a Justice of the Peace in the courthouse.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• lol maybe that would be a good omen for the marriage. Clerk of the Peace will encourage peace in the marriage?
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I was married by clergy in my first marriage, in a neutral location. I was married by a JP for my second marriage. Was married by a clergy in this marriage, in very traditional Christian temple ceremony. (LOL I had a turbulent youth. Ask me about it some time.)

If you are religious or sentimental, I would say that it's worth the extra money to have that personal service. If you're not interested in anything fancy, I say just stick with the CP.
    emilyjj75

Answer by emilyjj75 at 8:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• We were married by my (now) FIL who was ordained by the Universal Life Church (also known as the internet ordainment) in the 60's. He did a traditional "do you take this man" blah blah ceremony, and we had just immediate family present.
    My brother is also ordained with the ULC and he's performed a few marriages. Once for a couple who HAD to get married on Valentine's Day, but their minister was stuck in traffic due to weather. So he married them at 11pm on Valentine's Day at a Denny's. LOL
    Danotoyou2

Answer by Danotoyou2 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• We went to the courthouse and the judge married us. It didn't cost anything.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• We were married by a Judge outdoors at a location of our choosing. It was more personal and more about us than all of the hoopla of everyone else trying to pick dates, tell us when and how to get married. It was very special.
    happySAHMmomof2

Answer by happySAHMmomof2 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• We got married by a justice of the peace in our dining room. He did not charge us a penny and said we could consider it his wedding gift. It cost $35 for the license.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:18 PM on Feb. 5, 2009