What would you do in this situation?

My daughter is visiting her dad. His wife had my daughter drive to lunch so she could practise driving then proceeded to have 3 margaritas at lunch. My daughter had to drive home with a drunk adult, a 5 year old and 8 year old and she has only had 25 hours of driving since she only recently got her learners permit.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 10:31 AM on Aug. 14, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• I think I would speak to my ex about it. Hopefully the two of us could talk like adults and find a solution. Isn't there some sort of restriction of who and how many persons someone with only a learner's permit can have in the car?
    Side note- IMO your ex's new wife is an idiot.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:39 AM on Aug. 14, 2012

• Who gets drunk off of three margaritas is my question! --

ME! lol.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:01 AM on Aug. 14, 2012

• I would be talking to the ex as well. I would make sure he understood that was NOT acceptable and wouldn't be happening again. I agree with meooma, the new wife is an idiot.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:42 AM on Aug. 14, 2012

• Who gets drunk off of three margaritas is my question!
    I highly doubt he was drunk out of his mind. I wouldn't be Mad about her driving home, lesson learned don't drive buzzed.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 10:41 AM on Aug. 14, 2012

• Ohh I misread lol she.. Sucks. Any reason to hate the new wife, I'd talk to her
    Mrs_Harsh

• the licensed adult driver in the passenger seat needs to be legally capable of driving. I would guess she was not, given her alcohol consupmtion. So is this illegal? i would hope so, but I don't know.

regardless, I would talk to your ex about it. hopefully he sees that is was wrong and can help his wife see that too.
    zetajen

Answer by zetajen at 10:51 AM on Aug. 14, 2012

• First I would look up the laws in your state. Pretty sure in our state that a learner's permit is not allowed to have anyone under the age of 16 in the car with them. Second all states as far as I know say that the licensed driver has to be legally capable of driving and whether or not she "felt" drunk she was legally drunk from 3 margaritas. Then I would talk with the ex calmly about it because she may be blowing thing out of proportion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• Omgosh. I would definitely talk to her father about that siduation. That is not being a responseable adult. That should not happen ever again. Your daughter hasn't a drivers license yet. To me test driving should contain other kids in the car either. You never know what can happen being that things just happen fast. Anyway. That a situation that needs to be addressed. Asap.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 10:45 AM on Aug. 14, 2012

• depending on the state they are in - even having 2 children in the care can be against the rules. I dunno though
    Anyways, Id tell ex that it happened and you were not thrilled

i will say this though, you have a couple of ?'s re: SM- I know that MY DD told me stuff like this to get me pissed and that my SD told ehr mom this stuff to get me pissed- when it failed to work- it stopped. Not saying same scenario with your DD but thought Id throw it your way
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 11:27 AM on Aug. 14, 2012

• Since she has to have a responsible adult in the car when she is driving, the SM does not qualify. I would have wished that she would have called her father and barring that a cab. It would be the right thing to do but it would cause her a lot of grief too. She could always ask the manager to take the SM's keys and call the cops.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:28 PM on Aug. 14, 2012