Wasn't Martin Luther King's dream to have a future without race where people would see each other for who they are and not what color their skin is?

I read on CNN that two thirds of African-Americans believe that Dr. Martin Luther King's dream has been fulfilled by Obama being President of the United States. It seems to me that it would be valid to say that his dream is on its way to being fulfilled, but we are far from being there now. Just the fact that so many people are focused on what color Obama's skin is and not who he is shows that King's dream is yet to be fulfilled. Plus so many people voted for him purely so we could elect the first black president. I am posting this anon. because whenever there is talk about race the accusations of being a racist come soon after. What is your honest opinion on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• MLK was an Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson type radical. He was a hate spreading bigot who what used by the government to represent anti-racism only after he was safely disposed of. The government has sealed the FBI files on him for another 20 years or so. Don't take my word for it, do some research.

Anonymous

• someone check the calander. I think this is "slam Obama day"
    Anonymous

• OP looks like you have some conspiracy theorist on here.
    Anonymous

• I voted for Obama Not based on the color of his skin... I feel this way... Its not been fulfilled just yet and Dr King did not just say that for African American only... He meant that for every race.... These days African American people could be just as raciest as white people... Threw out grade school I was picked on by this on African American girl for being Mexican and Polish... I hated her.... but you see just because she was sour didn't mean i had to be sour.
    Anonymous

• i don't think MLKs dream was fulfilled at all..i do believe its a step in the right direction, but its really a moot point, isn't it? as long as there are people who believe they deserve more because of their skin color or their ancestors skin color,(for people who think i'm speaking only about AA/'blacks'..that goes for 'whites', too--whatever color either of those is) there will be problems among the races. and really moot, when you realize that here in america, there are very, very few people who are truly one race..its a huge melting pot, has been for a long time..personally, unlike the first anon, i wish sharpton/jackson were more MLK..they may have missed a golden opportunity to continue MLKs good works..of course, neither of them are dead yet, so they still have opportunity to truly share in 'the dream'..as we all do, if we'd just do it.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• it could be b/c of the MLK quote regarding a black president. he basically said "i have seen a lot of change in America. i think in 40 years we will see a black man as president." granted thats just a simplification, but that may be why so many AAs think MLK's dream has been fulfilled.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• First ANON poster, you are thinking of Malcolm X, if anyone. OP, I think that his dream was fulfilled and then destroyed in the very same day and it is b/c of the people who consistently say that black people voted for him b/c he too is black and they wanted to be a part of history. There are people who did that but they do not represent the majority. His dream will one day come to light FULLY and I hope that I am still around to share that day with my children.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 9:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Well, when people of a certain shade stop asking for apologies for things that didn't happen to them, and stop using their color as an excuse for not getting ahead in life, THAT'S when color will cease to be an issue.
    KnittinChick

Answer by KnittinChick at 9:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Every day is bash Obama day. It was bash Bush day every day last year.

Hey, you gotta have a hobby.

I wish people would stop seeing people by color. I'm sure MLK wished the same thing.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It will happen when we can take a step forward without saying, "Well, the opposite race does this" or, "The opposite race says that" and we can move forward in our own beliefs without worrying what some on the other side of the fence are doing.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 10:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2009