Why is the steroids in baseball an issue for Congress to deal with?

Why have there been congressional hearings rather than the usual trials? If these steroids are illegal, why isn't it going to regular court?

Jessy0419

Asked by Jessy0419 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The Congress oversees this I believe.
    Anonymous

• But why? Why would this fall under congressional jurisdiction?
    Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 8:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Congress oversees it because it's a federal manner, since it involves interstate commerce.
    Anonymous

• another problem w/ the whole steriods in baseball thing...when these people used steriods (Clemens, Pettite) it was NOT illegal. majority of the time when they get in trouble w/ the law its for perjury...lieing under oath
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I have wondered that myself. It would seem the Baseball Commission would handle this. I think Congress has more important issues.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• probably because the banks want to sponsor some of the baseball teams.. (with the bail out money) so congress is feeling more responsible for the teams now (since they gave them the money)
    http://mlb.fanhouse.com/team/yankees/
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2009