Would you punish?

daughter age 6yr 2mos used closet bar as a trapeze bar and got her very 1st ever concussion. We're home now from ER and I'm to take her to pediatrician tomorrow and also wake her for 5 minutes each at approx 11pm and 3am tonight. So ER bill, dr bill, a bottle of kids motrin (we were out) and lost sleep tonight and a broken closet bar (and huge mess) now that my adrenaline is settled and my husband has stopped crying... we wonder if we punish or not. ?? We had never specifically discussed closet safety before, it didn't seem necessary. The dr asked my husband and I if we ever did that as kids and we both said yup! And she responded that it was just unfortunate that today she happened to land in a way that caused some damage.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 5:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2012 in Kids' Health

• I think she learned an important lesson already. I don't think you need to punish her.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 5:51 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• "I" wouldn't. I think the concussion would be punishment enough. But- I would have her help clean up/ repair the mess she made.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• To me, the injury is punishment enough. A serious discussion about why she shouldn't have done this and a stern warning to never do it again would definitely occur, but I would not punish. (I would also wait to have the discussion until you know she's clearheaded again. lol)
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:54 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• no,I don't think she even considered that the bar would come tumbling down. She's just a little fart

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• I find any damage done to themselves by negligence or damage done to property as punishable offenses. She is of the age that you could have her help repair the damage. When I am at a loss I make them write sentences. I had to do that over the weekend. My 6 yo HATES writing sentences so this usually helps remind her of what she did wrong every time she complains her hand hurts. I only make her do ten, similar to I will not lie b/c......Good luck! I am glad that she is ok and only came out of it with a concussion.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• I woudn't really punish her, maybe jsut have a talk about safety with her.
    I think she has suffered enough ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:06 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• I wouldnt just let her know if she is caught messing with the closet things again she will be punished
    supgrl87

Answer by supgrl87 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• No you don't this is kids exploring but I would make her help clean it up

Hubby crying and your heart racing. Be sure you right this one down in a diary because you are going to want to look back and you will laugh with her. I guarantee it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• Are you sure we are not related roflol.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:10 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• I agree with the others, no punishment. But, she should have to help clean up and be told that she is not allowed to do that ever again & she will be punished if she does so.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2012