• In the Spotlight:

is spotting or brown discharge normal during 5th week of pregnancy?

i am 5 weeks pregnant and getting some brown discharge from last 5-6 days only when i wipe off. before that it was clear and stretchy mucus like ovulation time mucus and lot more quantity wise. 2 day ago it had some pinkish blood also then came back to brown later in the evening. i have had 3 pregnancies before ( all girls)and never had this kinda thing. my friend and her aunt told me she had spotting with her boys and its a sign of carrying a boy. any advise will be appreciated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It can be normal, however, it also might not be normal. It doesnt usually signify whether or not youre carrying a girl or a boy. Sometimes the cervix is super sensitive and any irritation such as sex, or just being more active can cause bleeding. Its good that the blood is brown, but its also something you should check with your doctor over. Each and every person is different, whiles its alright for some people, it might not be for others. Get checked out, then youll know for sure. Good luck.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 8:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I think that you should check with your doc! Two years ago I lost my baby and the blood was brown but there was alot of it! Its was like this for 2 days then it was Red and blood clots. I dont want to scare you just want ya to know. Get checked take care and the best of luck to you and your baby.
    Tris_09

Answer by Tris_09 at 10:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Don't take that stupid advice about it being a boy! There are many reasons why "one" would spot ( and that isn't a medically proven one of them!) You could have a delicate Cervix that was bumped by an exam or sex. It could be implantation bleeding ( which is not as common as some like to think it is). It could be a tear in the placenta or an incompetent cervix. Whatever it is, at this stage in your Pregnancy you would have to just wait it out ( one out of 3 pregnancies end before the 12th week). For the record I have been preggo 4 times.. and have only spotted brown with this last one ( and am fine, even though they refer to it as a threatened miscarriage).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Feb. 5, 2009