The Action Plan to Stop Witchcraft-Related Child Abuse by Christians adult content

The UK government is finally deciding on a course of action after these murders have spread to Europe:

The United Kingdom’s Department of Education has released a national action plan for dealing with cases of witchcraft and occult-related abuse of children within religious communities. This comes after several high-profile cases of murder and abuse of children related to anti-witchcraft rituals, most prominently the murder of Kristy Bamu, who died while being tortured under the auspices of an “exorcism” at his sister’s home.

Blood-spattered bathroom tiles at Magalie Bamu and Eric Bikubi's flat.

Blood-spattered bathroom tiles at Magalie Bamu and Eric Bikubi’s flat.

During sentencing, Judge David Paget said the murder had a “sadistic element”, adding it was “prolonged torture involving mental and physical suffering being inflicted before death”. He added that the ordeal the children were subjected to “almost passes belief”. However, he accepted Bikubi’s defence that he had brain damage and had believed that Kristy was a witch. But Judge Paget added: “The belief in witchcraft, however genuine, cannot excuse an assault to another person, let alone the killing of another human being.”

Children’s Minister Tim Loughton told the BBC that “abuse linked to faith or belief in spirits, witchcraft or possession is a horrific crime, condemned by people of all cultures, communities and faiths,” while Andrew Flanagan of the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) goes out of his way to note that this isn’t a problem within communities that actually believe in and practice witchcraft or magic as part of their religious faith.

The vast majority of people in communities where witchcraft is practised are horrified by these acts and take no part in this atrocious behaviour. So we must not be afraid to raise this issue so the offenders can be exposed.”

Despite the desperate and craven attempts by some in the media to wrongly conflate modern Paganism with this issue, this is a largely a phenomenon that is nurtured within a Christian context, a point that has many ministers in the UK deeply concerned. In fact some, like Debbie Ariyo, director of Africans Unite Against Child Abuse, wants explicit laws against branding children as witches.

Debbie Ariyo, the director of Africans Unite Against Child Abuse, described the action plan as the first step taken by any government to seriously tackle ritualised child abuse, but said it was not going far enough. She called on the government to make it illegal to brand a child a witch. ”We would have liked to see the government go further but we believe this action plan will go a long way to encouraging voluntary agencies to take concrete steps to fight this type of abuse,” she said.

Ariyo has previously noted that the spread of anti-witchcraft and sorcery violence in the UK is centered in Pentecostal Churches, not indigenous, revived, or reconstructed pre-Christian belief systems.

Debbie Ariyo, executive director of Africans Unite Against Child Abuse(Afruca), who added that a boom in pentecostal churches was leading to more children being accused of witchcraft. “This is not a problem with all pastors or all churches, but the branding of children as witches is not abating. It is a growing problem. There are so many children suffering in silence.”

This new initiative joins recent moves by British police to better spot sorcery/witchcraft-related abuse cases, and has so-far been widely praised as an important step forward on an issue that many believe is under-reported to law enforcement. Modern Pagans, practitioners of African indigenous faiths living in the UK, and other occult-oriented communities should take a proactive stance on involving themselves in assisting the government, and pushing for laws that criminalize the abuse of children because of occult-oriented religious beliefs. Not only because it’s a good idea, but because our input will be important to make sure future laws and regulation thread the needle between protecting children while safeguarding the rights of those interested in religious Witchcraft or occult practices.

For more on this new action plan by the government, here’s the executive summary, andhere’s the full plan. We will be following this story as it continues to develop.

So the question remains, while the abuse is occurring in these African-based churches, why is there not more focus on the missionaries who are planting these seeds in the first place?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I never in favor of any type of abuse, so I'm glad they have an action plan to deal with it.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• I'm just astonished by this...the question does become who is to blame and how to hold them responsible.......wow.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:05 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• Because every religion has it's finatics and people who abuse in the name of their god. It's not right to pinpoint one and call it the reason for all that goes wrong religiously.
    Beeyatch80

Answer by Beeyatch80 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• But that's only if you are incinuating that Christianity as a whole is responsible, which I'm not saying you are.
    Beeyatch80

Answer by Beeyatch80 at 7:13 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• It's sickening
    ..Serenity..

Answer by ..Serenity.. at 7:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• A lot of crap goes down in the name of God/christianity that He has no part of. He was not burning women at the stake in the Salem witch trials, it was not His will that people drank Kool Aid in Jonestown, He does not want people to beat their children into submission, and He is not a part of labeling children witches so they will be tortured and abused. Im not sure how to stop this madness but it sickens me... And claiming you are doing something in God's name does not make it so.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• I don't quite understand how people are shocked. Exspecialy those who follow the abrahamic faith. Exodus 22 18 “You shall not permit a sorceress to live. Leviticus 20 27 “‘A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death. You are to stone them; their blood will be on their own heads. Do they not read their own holy text?

It's sickening to hear that such primitive beliefs still stunt our society to act out againt those who are followers of different beliefs, there deffinatly needs to be harsher punishments for crimes like these.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 8:16 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• Why am I not surprised that they say it's Pentecostal churches...seeing aws how I was brought up in them and all
    *AND*
    My mother -and her whole side of my family actually truly believed at one point that I was posessed...(I was REALLY sick -came down with some wierd virus on my 18th birthday). They took me to my uncles house where he did what.they considered an exorcism -no physical abuse, but I will say that mentally-it was not a good thing ;)

ugh.
    This is SO sad that people ACTUALLY believe in this stuff and what they will resort to when they think they see it. : /
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• *that should say- seeing AS how I was...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:54 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• So the question remains, while the abuse is occurring in these African-based churches, why is there not more focus on the missionaries who are planting these seeds in the first place?

Those are Christian churches that are planting those seeds, whether or not the rest of the Christian community agrees with those particular teachings of those particular missionaries.  Regardless, I'm sure the government is afraid to appear in any way to interfere with those 'sacred' beliefs, because the cries of 'persecution' would be heard around the world.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:28 PM on Aug. 14, 2012