How should teachers deal with this?

Saw this on Twitter a few minutes ago, and at first it made me laugh, but I wonder - this isn't a one-off thing.  Comments like this are made in classrooms all over the country.  How do teachers combat the willful ignorance without "oppressing" anyone?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:53 PM on Aug. 14, 2012 in Religious Debate

• It is funny, but I think it may be a regional issue. I have never experienced any bible thumping in all of my years as an elementary school volunteer and parent. 6 years, 4 schools.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• Well if they are ignorant enough to answer their tests in that manner I think a failing grade would suffice. Unfortunately you cannot really penalize them for showing their stupidity on facebook.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• I think the teacher at the start of school should set ground rules, explaining that students may have conflicting beliefs based on their religion, but this is a science course and we are here to discuss scientific theories and observations.

If the teacher is involved in these types of tweets, he/she should remind the students of the ground rules.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• You do hear some strange things as teachers. I had a boy tell me that his Dad told him that I was teaching lies because the holocaust never really happened.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• That's so sad layh41407 ^^^

I know my children won't behave in such a way but, I do wonder if they will encounter children who think that way.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• I love science, I thought about being a science teacher...not sure if I could handle it though. I have seen articles about how to prepare your child to stand up to his or her science teacher and have the courage to tell them they are wrong. Smh, idk of I could deal with that; it's not the kids fault but it makes me so upset at the parents.
    ..Serenity..

Answer by ..Serenity.. at 8:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• but, I do wonder if they will encounter children who think that way.

I know mine does. I witnessed another mother "re-teaching" her child when we were both chaperoning a field trip, and the kids were watching a film that mentioned pre-historic times and geology in relation to why chocolate grows best in South America. She quite loudly contradicted the movie and told her daughter it was all just silly, but they know better.

It doesn't surprise me, because I've seen the same attitude at the college level, and every science discipline class does have a disclaimer like anng described at the front of the syllabus. Doesn't stop people from complaining.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• At the parents that would do that
    ..Serenity..

• If they've read their Bible then they know that it WAS dust. The Bible doesn't specify more than that.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2012

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2012