Please help me come up with a good come back.

I am sooo sick of everyone joking about my husband not being the biological dad to our baby. I am white with blonde hair, blue eyes, and casper-like white skin. My husband is hispanic with black hair, brown eyes, and light to medium colored skin. Our three month old son has light colored skin, dark blue eyes, and RED hair. I was surprised by the hair, but stranger things have happened. Our older son had blonde hair the first few months and now 4 years later he has dark brown hair. For 3 months now everyone we come across (family, friends, neighbors, co-workers) has to joke about the baby not being my husband's. To me it just comes acrossed as them saying I must have cheated on my husband. At first I just joked along with them, but it has gotten really old now. -Continued-

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• -continued- We visit my family and his several times a week and almost everytime someone has to make a joke like this. Today a complete stranger walked up to us and said, "Oh! He must be the mailman's baby!" I wish I had quick wits and said something back, but I just faked a laugh and smile. These jokes bother me the most coming from my in-laws due to the fact they already don't like the fact their precious boy married an evil gabacha (white woman). FYI: I am pretty religious, traditional, and was a virgin before our wedding night, so me cheating would be very out of character, and there is absolutely no way that my husband is not the father of our children. So what is a good way to reply to these jokes?
    Anonymous

• Personally- I would look at them when they said something to the effect of 'it must be so and so' or "it must not be your husbands' and I would say in the most serious voice "How did you find out?" and then leave....

ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i would just pretend to take it very serious and say something like how could you say that about your grandson, i can't believe you don't think this beautiful baby isn't 1/2 of your son... and when they respond as saying it was just a joke you can say oh well im sorry i dont find those jokes funny i take comments like that very seriously but it depends on how good your acting is if you cant pull this off id just say i feel bad for your husband since you cheat on him bc i dont cheat on mine and wait for the silence
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 8:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• How about a calm, even voiced "Even joking, that's a very rude and hurtful thing to say."
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I agree with kaycee14. The honest statement will sink in more than a witty retort. What awful things for people to say!
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• where is your husband?? he should be standing up to his family for you!! as for a quick response " no the mailman is chinese!" might bring a smile and some sting to the person sending the jibe. red hair is a recessive gene and my come from a previous generation. ie grandparents parents. and not all black hair is truly black......it might be a mix of yellow and brown caused the red...........a mix of both of you. ( yellow and brown sometimes make red )

any who keep up the sense of humor....................................you will always need it !!
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 8:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Well I had all kinds of come backs but Ill be nice lol. I agree with the poster who stated calmly let them know its hurtful. You have to nip it in the bud with a calm nice force. One that makes your point but still ends with good will. I probably would say something like its very nice of you to notice how gorgeous his red hair is but very rude of you to make jokes, smile and walk away! Hubby should be the one doing the come backs though!!!! Now on the other hand someone embarrased the crap out me in public because I am black and my daughter had green eyes. They yelled in front of everyone to her dad this cant be your baby with green eyes, I calmly walked over looked him in the face and said no shes yours! lol lol it wasnt a chance she was but nobody but him and i knew that so he was quite embarrased and speechless.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 9:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I agree with all the ladies taking the high road. Let them know that it is a hurtful comment.

However . . . if you really feel the need to come back you could always say something like "Did you fall from the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down? That is such a rude question to ask. "

Or. . .um. . . maybe not. . . makes me feel better to think it thought.

PS. My sister has red hair/blue eyes. Mom has dark brown hair/brown eyes, Dad light brown hair/blue eyes. . . Genetics is a funny thing
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• If its a woman say "Well I guess you better have a talk with your husband huh?" for a man say "watch it he could be yours"
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• yeah i would tell your in-laws that you are offended and hurt by their comments...and P.S. my son doesnt look anything like his father, he looks JUST like ME
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 11:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2009