Induce labor at home?

Did you try anything to induce labor? Did it work?
what did you do?

I would love to try something to induce labor but I am so afraid!

Paty_hotmommy

Asked by Paty_hotmommy at 8:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Castor oil gives you the runs which can start your labor, but not always......There is also a high risk of your baby having it's first bowel movement when still inside you. This is highly dangerous as the baby can aspirate the meconium, and get very sick with infection.....This really is not something you want to do...... Sex always worked for me....I have six kiddos!

melinda29

Answer by melinda29 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I've heard blue cohosh...but I don't even know what that is. There is also caster oil, but I'd wait til I was desperate...;)
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 8:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• not really to induce... but with my 3rd, doc told me to take castor oil to speed things up considering my previous 2 labors were 36+ hours & 48+ hours. 3rd baby was born 16 hours after taking the castor oil, but I was already having mild irregular contractions and dilated to 2cm
    Anonymous

• Don't even think about using that oil. Just try lots of walking and sex.
    Anonymous

• blue and black cohosh are known to stimulate the uterus, they are herbs, but they can cause a drop in blood pressure so shouldn't be tried at all, or especially not alone.

Sex and lots of walking are the safest and most effective methods.

Castor oil is a type of vegetable oil that has laxative properties, it *may* cause the baby to pass menconium. It is believed that it works by stimulating the uterus by stimulating the bowels. In reality it usually makes the drinker vomit and have loose stools.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I havent tried the at home labour inducers with my children, but my sister has. She tried a concoction of chocolate ice cream and peanut butter and castor oil in a milk shake. It worked like a charm. Both times she tried the castor oil she went into labour and gave birth within 8ish hours of taking it. It worked for her. Ive read that it hasnt worked for others, but who knows!! Good luck. I hope your baby comes soon!
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 8:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• castor oil? what is that? where do you buy it?
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 8:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• read my reply lol. it's tells you what it is
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• ONLY DO SELF INDUCTIONS UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF YOUR DOCTOR! IF YOUR DOCTOR DIDN'T TELL YOU TO DO IT, THEN DON'T
    Anonymous

• Sex worked for me lol
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 8:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2009