when should my doctor start to check if I am dilatating?

I am 38 weeks pregnant and my doctor still didnt check me - I have an appt next monday - do you think he might check me then?

Paty_hotmommy

Asked by Paty_hotmommy at 8:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Right.
    Things can change at any moment.

And the "have to be induced" is really more a matter of the health complication that indicates need for induction. Hopefully, mom will have some cervical progress (as per Bishop's Score indicates), but when there is a legit need to induce then the score may be irrelevant.

Make sure you know if it's a real reason before consenting to an unnecessary intervention.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Yes, probably. That sounds about right. Unless there's a concern, they usually don't check earlier. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• he may, but in reality vaginal exams aren't needed. it wont tell you a damn thing lol :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• some actually don't

all it does is irritate things, introduce germs which you don't want in there ;o) and really just make mommies worry and stress :o) "OMG I'm at 1cm! I'm having a baby today!" when in reality it could be another 2-3 weeks :)

Anonymous

• It usually only makes women wonder & worry needlessly. You don't need to do it, there is no reason, maybe your doctor won't offer, if you're lucky!
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• if you're wanting them to check you, ask. they always started checking me at 37wks
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• im 38 weeks and my ob wants to check me every time i go in but i told her not to because its annoying and uncomfortable
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I do remember now the doctor saying I can be 2 cm dilated and have to be induced OR not be dilated at all in the morning and go into labor in the afternoon.
    So the truth is it doenst matter right?
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 9:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• nope doesn't matter... but you rarely HAVE to be induced lol.. I know a few people who delivered at 44 and 45 weeks :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2009