Please help me cook a porter house steak b : (...

I'd appreciate any assistance really! Okay here's the deal I made 2 already & they came out tuff. I'd REALLY LIKE THEM TO BE SOFT & TENDER LIKE BUTTA :) LOL. ANYWAY I SEASONED THEM THE DAY BEFOR WITH A LIL OLIVE OIL, SALT PEPPER A FEW OTHER THINGS. I ALSO HIT THEM WITH A MEAT TENDERIZER. I HEAT UP THE FRYING PAN ON LOW WITH ONIONS & GARLIC IN THERE. I LAYED THE STEAK ON TO OF IT . I SEAR EACH SIDE FOR 7 MINUTERS & TAKE IT OUT & IT'S TUFF AS HELL. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO TO GET IT SOFT ......... I USALLY COOK MY RIB EYE THE SAME WAY & COMES OUT GREAT..... IF YOU HAVE ANY RECIPES DON'T HESITATE TO SHARE THEM PLEASE.ANY ASSISTANCE WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPPRECIATED :}.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Okay, here's the deal, pound the meat first, then rub it down lightly with olive oil and seasoned salt then put in n the broiler depending on how you like yours cooked. Med on a large Porterhouse is about 8 to 9 minutes n each side. You kinda gotta use your judgement. By the way, if you don't know how to pound here's what I do, put it flat in a freezer bag and punch it with your fists or pound it with a hammer, not too hard because you'll turn it into pulp. This is how we made them in a very popular restaraunt I worked at. Perfect everytime!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• You fussed too much with it..
    Porterhouse is a good cut, just salt & pepper it, grill it for 3-4 minutes a side, and you're done! A cut like this does not need meat tenderizer, and it will be tough only if overcooked.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• forgot to add: I like my meat rare.. medium rare would be about 5-6 minutes a side on a grill.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i agree with anestheticsex u dont need to marinate or put olive oil on it put seasonings u like and use your broiler if its cold where u live i like mine medium rare 5-6 min on each side even in your broiler
    RIERIE

Answer by RIERIE at 1:46 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• First, don't salt a day in advance. That draws out all the natural juices. Second, you don't need to oil or anything else a day in advance either. Porterhouse is a naturally flavorful, meaty, tender cut. It doesn't need all that other stuff. When you want to make the steak, take it out of the fridge at least 20 minutes prior to cooking. You can grill, broil, or fry the steak. You will want to use a relatively high heat and cook it no more than 5 min per side for medium rare, 6 min for med. Don't cook past medium. Salt and pepper just prior to cooking. Don't add onions or anything else to the pan prior to cooking the steak...they add moisture to the pan so the steak steams, rather than searing. To fry: heat a bit of evoo in your skillet on med-high until it just starts to smoke. Add steak and sear, without messing about, for 5 minutes, then flip. Flip only once. Another 5 minutes, then remove. Let rest 15 min before cutting.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:27 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• To grill, again take it out 20 minutes ahead. Rub the steak with a small amount of evoo, season with salt & pepper. Your grill should be hot. Place the steak on the grill, and do not touch for 4 min. After the 4 min, turn a quarter turn (this makes nice criss-cross grill marks) and grill another min. Flip and repeat. To make it Tuscan style, mince some garlic, parsley, and shallots then combine with olive oil. As soon as the steak comes off the grill put it on a plate with the oil mixture, flipping once to coat both sides. Let rest 15 minutes and serve.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:30 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• did you buy choice or prime grade beef? If it "select" It is the quality of the meat, not the way you are cooking it. Is it well marbled with streaks of fat? ot is it very lean looking? that will mean it is tougher. use the tenderizer and poke it in with a fork for an hour before cooking. of overnight in a marinade.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:00 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I rub a tiny bit of olive oil just before cooking because it makes the outside a little more crispy but the steak is really tender.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• chefjen: regardless of cut, when there is a wet ingredient (onions) in the pan first, the steak cannot sear, and will steam instead, ensuring it is tough.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2009