Do you cut your dogs hair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Pets

• no. dog hair stops growing at a certain length then they shed... no need to cut it unless you have a long hair dog in an extremely hot climate, like a husky in Hawaii then you might want to cut it so poor dog doesn't have heat stroke...
    Anonymous

• Yes:-) My long hair border collie/aussie cross gets a shave every spring:-) AND I shave her hind end perhaps 3 times a year to keep that end of her clean:-) We also brush A LOT year round. But she looks awfully good:-) I give her a Doctor Seuss looking tail in the spring---I shave it and leave a little lion tail end----it is a good thing I live out in the country:-)----my dogs have sported some funny do's:-)

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 11:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I have two shelties and shaving them down could kill them.
    We trim the hair away from the paws and pads on their feet, trim up their legs a bit.
    First of all, don't shave your sheltie's coat. The coat provides insulation from the heat and cold, and you may severely impair your dog's ability to regulate his body temperature by shaving him. The only exception to this rule is in the event of severe skin problems. If your dog suffers from a severe skin irritation that necessitates shaving his coat, be certain to keep him protected from the heat or cold while his coat is growing back in.

What breed of dog are you referring to?
    blujeanlady62

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 7:50 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• It depends on what kind of dog you have. Labs just need brushing. Poodles are know for their fancy cuts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I know at least three ranchers that also shave their border collies and aussies. My vet even commented on my dogs "unique" shave and felt it was easier on her in the summer. I never shaved our lab. I did shave our blue heeler:-)
    Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Depends on what kind of dog.If you have a breed with long hair, and not a show dog, or you don't like brushing out your dog and it gets matts in their hair, then yes these dogs need attention. Toy breeds need their hair pulled fron their ears to clean them. The pads have hair between them and should be cut out so dogs have traction. Certain breeds have layers of hair that needs brushing or clipping. Washing your dog is very important for your dog. It removes all kinds of dander,dirt and oil built up on their bodies. All three of my dogs get clipped. The lhasa,bishon,havenese all get clipped for their conveince. No mess from brushing,pulling un wanted mats, and the heat , and fleas. If they had long hair, each one would need brushing everyday of the wk to maintain a healthy coat! Don't have time,I run a doggy day care!
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 2:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I have a Shih Tzu, and he gets a hair cut every 5 months or so. I don't take him to a groomer, I do it myself . . . it's cheaper that way :)
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 10:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2009