Does my 7 1/2 month old eat too much?

My 7 1/2 month old eats 4 stage 2 jars of food a day plus some barly cereal mixed with his first jar of food of the day and about 40 oz of formula a day he was a big baby when he was born 10 lbs 1 oz he is was 19.5 lbs at 7 months its just seems like he eats weigh more than my daughter. I dont want to be over feeding him but i dont want to with hold food from him either if he is really hungry shouldnt he know when he is fool he does stop eating food at night sometimes like he has had enough but not usually.

shames85

Asked by shames85 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first baby was a girl and she never hardly ate at all i felt like i had to force her but my 2nd was a boy and whew what a diff. it was he is 13 mths and eats more than i do!!! So dont worry i felt the same way like i over fed him b/c he ate so much (still does!) but they will let u know when they are full and as long as he's not throwing up....he should turn his head and not wanna eat when he's full:) you just got u a big eater :)
    Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 9:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• sounds like it, the baby foods sound about right, but 40 oz of formula a day is alot. my son is going on 8mons, and he doesnt eat near as much as that. I would ask his doc about it. Maybe try giving him more foods, and cereals. GL
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• do you give him a full bottle after all of the jars of food? I felt the same as you o, but what i started doing was waking up early around 5 or 6 and giving my DD a bottle and then around 9 she would have breakast with cereal ( i give her yo baby yogurt and mix in some cereal to keep her full) then around 12 she will be ready for lunch and i give her a jar of food and 4 oz of formula ( because she eats a 6 oz bottle, so im splitting it with half food half milk) and then she would be ready for dinner around 4 or 5 ... You could always try givng him more food, and with applesauce if he likes if, you could always look at alternatives, like the motts strawberry applesauce ( with no sugar added) you get like 3 times as much for the price you pay for the baby stuff) .... You should know what he needs, but maybe just try cutting down his bottle intake and giving him more foods.. What kind of formula is he on if you dont mind me askin
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• oh and by the way, dont feel bad about his weight my DD has been 22 lbs since she was 6 months old because she was hungry all the time, but now that she is 8 months, she hasnt gained a pound, she is still 22 lbs... he will grow into it, dont you worry.... My dr always said she was concerned about my DD weight and that she wouldnt crawl and roll and everything, but she started crawling and she is fine... My dr also always compared her daughter against mine, saying OMG my daughter was only 18 pounds at a year old and yours is 22 at 6 months... just remember all babies are different, and chubby babys are little cuties
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• my son is 6 1/2 months and eats two jars of 2nd foods and 40 oz of milk plus 1 pack of "cookies" (baby mum mum rice crackers) but he's just big my son is in the 75 - 80 percentile for his weight and height so he needs that much food. is your son huge like mine? you'd know if you were feeding him to much because he'd start to get TOO big like he couldn't make a fist or roll over anymore and other things like that. I'm sure your son is fine.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 10:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It does sound excessive (especially the formula). I would speak to your ped for advice because you don't want the weight (or eating habits) to get out of hand. We also split the "meals between food and formula. 1 jar of stage 3 food and 4 oz of formula for breakfast/lunch/snack; then he hasa dinner gerber at 6pm; and a nighttime bottle(7oz) at 7:30 (bedtime). (FYI.. our son is almost 9 months old)
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2009