up milk supply.

I pumped for the first time today.and now I know why she has always been hungry after she eats. I only got 1 1/2 onces TOTAL. How do I up my supply???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pump more
    Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 9:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• How old is the baby?
    Also the baby will get more milk than you can by pumping.
    Also when my son was born I was BFing every 20 mins or so, that is normal..it helps build your supply and get the actual milk to come in...
    If the baby is gaining weight and has plenty of wet diapers a day she/he is getting enough.
    If the baby has hit a growth spurt they will nurse more also.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• How often?
    Anonymous

• Is the baby feeding off of each breast at each feeding? About how long on each breast ?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Sorry she is almost a month old. I have had to give her a couple ounces 3-4 times a day of formula after she eats so she can get enough. Cause she dont want my breast anymore. And she is still humgry.

DONT say stop giving formula I WONT let her be hungry.
    Anonymous

• Yes she is feeding off each breast. 10min each and that is how long I pumped.
    Anonymous

• Oh hon dont worry I am not one to say no formula. 2 of mine were formula fed and only one was breast. some babys like the bottle because it is easier to get the milk out. Do you feed her both breast at one sitting? Sometimes if she finishes with one side and if you put her on the other side, is that when she doesnt want it?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Do you pull her off when the 10 mins is up? Or do yoyu let her continue til she is done.... I would feed until the first boob went flat ( so to speak) then let him finish on the other
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• but boy when the growth thing kicked in I thought I was gonna go crazy trying to keep up....you can pump in between feeds to help produce more
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I'll tell you that if you don't stop giving formula, your supply will not get much better. What you pump is no indication of how much your baby gets. I won't tell you what to do, but I will tell you what I would do. I'd ditch the formula. I'd nurse on demand. Anytime she seems hungry. Even if she just ate. It's normal.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2009