should my kids get the flu shot?? is it any good??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The one year my daughter got the flu shot, she got the flu and was hospitilized. I'm a firm believer in that because I depressed her little immune system with those toxins, she couldn't fight it off herself. My baby has never been vaccinated and only got a mild fever when she got the flu type B in 2007. She was 7 months old. Go here to get an unbiased look at the different options: http://www.nvic.org/Diseases/influenzafacts.htm If you want to prevent the flu naturally, YOU take in 2000IUs of Vit D a day. Not sure about a kid's dose. Maybe 1000?
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I never do the flu shot. It's unnecessary, and just a bad vaccine.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I have never gotten my kids the flu shot, I don't get it either. I believe in most vaccines, but I have heard nothing but bad about the flu shot.
    But, like most things, it is a personal choice, just don't let anyone push you in to it unless you are comfortable with it.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I don't get it myself, and my boys don't either. And they've never had the flu. Personally I just don't think it's necessary, but it's like anything else, it's up to you as the parent.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• You're the only one who can say if your kids should get it or not. We didn't get it for our kids until this year....our youngest was diagnosed with asthma. We thought long and hard about it and decided that even a little extra protection for his airways was better than nothing.

Up until this past fall, we didn't feel it was necessary either....but with the asthma diagnosis and two in preschool now...plus extra exposure because of their therapists and such...yeah, we did it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:51 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• We all get the flu shot at our house. I work in healthcare & both kids are in daycare.

It is a personal decision for everyone.

The flu vaccine for the 2007/2008 flu season was not the best match for the flu that went around. My Hubby came down with the flu last year. We got Tamiflu within 48 hours and he was only out of work for a week. The flu vaccine for the 2008/2009 has been formulaited to cover more variations of the virus. It is a little late to get the vaccine now. It is most effective 4-6 weeks after taking it. That is why there is often such a push for it in mid to late fall.

All you can do is weigh the advantages against the disadvantages & make the best decision for YOUR family.
    juliemoose

Answer by juliemoose at 4:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• research for your self. this is more inportant than any ones opinion
    by the way my kids have never had the vax or the flu
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 4:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2009