Can You Imagine?

Links to Sounds & Images from KY during the Ice Storm

http://flickr.com/photos/circulating/3242974642/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq2_WNGM0QU&feature=related

poisson

Asked by poisson at 9:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Are you trying to provide links or just inquiring as to whether or not there are any?
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 9:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Oh - never mind. The first time I looked at this, the links didn't show up for some reason! My bad! DUH!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 9:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• poisson

Answer by poisson at 9:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I don't have to imagine, I lived it here in MO. Lying in a sleeping bag on the living room floor by a fireplace and listening to tree branches snapping off all night for 4 nights in a row, Silence, then crushing sounds. The sounds of water trickling from your faucets for 5 days to keep them from freezing shut. Seeing cars and homes completly smashed from large branches and trees, power lines buzzing and snapping on the ground. I don't have to imagine it at all.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I heard that sound of trees breaking and cracking and falling all night that night. I stood on my deck and watched my neighbors tree break off piece by piece into my yard. I have a huge tree limb on my garage. That sound was very erie in the quiet night...
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 9:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Akin - I am so sorry you had to go through it. I can't imagine what it must be like. How are you doing now?
    poisson

Answer by poisson at 9:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My dad lives in Kansas a couple years ago he lost his power for 9 days. He lives in the sticks so it took them a while to get to where he lives. He could not leave his property for 4 days. They had a generator that ran the lights. My dad his wife and her daughters all slept in their room they have a wood burning fireplace. They ran out of wood after three nights and nearly froze the 4th night. I don't believe FEMA or anyone else helped the area at all. It is Kansas and no one nationally cares what happens to the people there. The state is too white.
    Anonymous

• I've been in similar storms when I lived in Nebraska, so yes I can imagine. It's awful and I feel horrible for the people in KY. Several years ago my parents had a tree collapse on their house, but fortunately it just clipped the corner. I have a picture of a huge tree the backyard at my own house that was split by the weight of ice and wet snow. We were lucky our tree didn't hit our house. We lost power for a bit of time, but not as long as my parents had since they were in an older neighborhood. That stuff all happened during a huge ice/snow storm in the late '90's. I also have pics from the blizzard of '06 in Denver. We couldn't even open our garage for days after the storm & then got hit again! Many people were unable to leave their houses and the plows didn't come thru for days. So I can relate to the folks that got hit by that storm.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• We had something similar happen about 6-7 years ago and after that Daddy hooked generators up to all our family's homes to power the stoves and refrigerators. The fireplace in the living room for heat and being able to have food and cook was wonderful, but we still went without hot water or electricity for a whole week. We got it back yesterday, thanks for the note. If Daddy hadn't done that for all of his kids we would have gone to a shelter somewhere.
    There was no EMA services for days, just local men with chainsaws and trucks that did everything. The worst part was having some homes with only electric heat, and when the power went out, the pipes froze and broke, and flooded some homes, and then the water froze inside the homes. Imagine that.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Akin-- That's really great he did that for you guys. At least you had something I guess. I'm glad you got your electricity back finally. Hope you and your family are o.k.

And yeah, my friend had only electric heat in 2006 after the blizzards out here and her house flooded. She worked nights, came home at 8:00 the next morning to a flooded house. Then she couldn't get anyone out there to fix it for days & had to pay out the a$$ for it. The worst part for her was that she had just remodeled it and it was a very old house. It cost a lot to repair everything.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2009