when can babies start getting real milk

when can I start giving my 11-month-old milk... and should it be 2%?

She's eating lots of table foods, but I worry about milk b/c we had such a hard time going from breast milk to formula

Thanks for all your help

~new mama~

Bmutzig

Asked by Bmutzig at 9:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• After 1 year. And it needs to be whole milk. You can try goats milk as well :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I should add that we don't use milk as a drink often here as well. It's just if you are giving milk for nutrition then you need to do whole milk.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• it should be Whole milk only not low fat or skim. babies/kids need the fat that is in milk!

and it's 12 months that you make the switch, but you can slowly start introducing it to her now.. try giving her a small cup of it tomorrow
    Anonymous

• my son had a hard time switching from formula to whole milk when he was 12 mths.....so i went out and got him lactose free milk and soy milk then would give him like one bottle of whole mild a day ....i did it really slowly and now he's just fine
    Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Should I mix it in with the formula if I am trying to slowly transition? or just do small amounts at a time?
    Bmutzig

Answer by Bmutzig at 9:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i would just give my baby small amounts at a time like a couple ounces a day

Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 9:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• do not start trying until one year!! ans i would say if ur family drinks 2 percent its fine thats what i drink and im not buying my son special whole milk
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• The vitamin D milk (whole milk) is the best for them. does you DD still use a bottle? I found that alot of kids will drink anything as long as you give them a bottle (if she's already transitioned to a sippy cup don't even risk giving her a bottle) find a time of day when she is most awake and willing for new things I found that my son tries new things better either the first of the morning when he is just getting up or after our afternoon nap. try drinking a glass of it with her and telling her how delicious it is and how big girls love to drink it and all of that sort of stuff even if she doesn't talk that well she will understand what you are saying. since she's 11 monthes now I'd just wait until after she turned 1 just to be on the safe side. good luck mama!
    Anonymous

• Not before a year old and whole milk for the first 4-5 years.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I don't give my kids cow milk. Hmmm....
    What did people do before we started drinking other animals breast milk?
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2009