Anyone ever try to get(or did get) guardianship of one of your parents?

My mom has Multiple sclerosis and she cant do anything for herslef anymore. My dad has been abusing her. I just talked to her soical worker today and we're going to try try to get me and my husband guardianship of her. Social worker says the judge may not do anything since my mom wont admit to anything and wants to stay with my dad. I have 3 brothers and 1 sister. Some are staying neutral and some are on dads side. So I cant talk to any of them about this because I dont want my dad getting any info. This is a very difficult situation for me. I definetly want to do this, especially since im the only one willing to stand up for her, but its very hard for me. I went through many years of abuse and eventually went to foster care and had many years of therapy but its still hard. And to make it worse I have social anxeity disorder. So I am really worried about having to talk in court...saying the right things and not getting tongue tied or stammering and just plain making sense. I want to be prepared. Im just wondering if anyone has been through this before and if theres any advice you could give?

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 7:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2012 in Relationships

• I have been through this.
    Document everything, phone calls, letters, emails, etc.
    Write down what you want to say and read it to the judge
    Maybe your mother isn't in her mind ready for help. But keep documenting everything. She has to be deemed incompetent by a judge, or sign over guardianship to you. Incompetency may take time, so document document document.
    I feel for you. It's a huge disgusting mess when greedy siblings abuse an ederly parent and all you can do is watch.
    Beeyatch80

Answer by Beeyatch80 at 7:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2012

• She has to be deemed incompetent by a judge,
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 7:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2012