I'm a new mom. My daughter was born 1/07/09. I went back to work Monday only after 3 weeks because of our financial situation. I wanted to know how I can get her to sleep more.

HollyKaye

Asked by HollyKaye at 9:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• On becoming Babywise is a great book.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• ok I wouldn't recommend baby wise to my worse enemy but I guess to each their own lol. Your baby is about 1 month old. There is no sleeping schedule. She will need to wake up to eat every few hours, it's unreasonable to think anything different. I am sorry. She will eventually sleep better. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Put her to bed as usual. Then, right before you go to bed, wake her up and feed her but make sure the lights are out and there is no noise. I recommend swaddling her. Every time she awakes in the middle of the night, keep it dark and stimulant free. This helps her establish night time as being the time to sleep. Good luck...you'll make it through! :o)
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 9:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• You can try to starta bedtime routine and make sure she is full right before you go to sleep; but a baby that young does not really have a schedule. If you have her in daycare during the day it might help (if they wear her out) so shewill betired at night. Just try to have someone help you and take turns throughouttthe night. If your luckit will only last a few more months.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• newborns are suppose to be fed every 2 to 3 hrs and they dehydrate very easily. i dont recommend finding ways to make the baby sleep more. i can say that my daughter started sleeping through the night when she was 4 mos old. good luck and hang in there.
    ashlee31627

Answer by ashlee31627 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I agree with Ashlee newborns have to wake up to eat every 2-3hrs because they can dehydrate if they don't. However don't wake her to feed her if she is sleeping. My son slept through the night the day he was born. I was lucky but most babies don't sleep through the night until 6months. Also don't start a sleep scheduale until 6+months because newborns change every day.
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 10:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My daughter was born the SAME day!!!
    Dont feel guilty about working you do what you have to do.
    By the way waht are you doing cause I want mine to be more awake my first 2 didnt sleep nearly as much as she does. She only eats a few times a day because I cant get her to wake up to eat.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 10:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• She actually slept 6 hours last night. It was a miracle!!! Thanks for y'alls advice. I guess I just have to let go a little bit.
    HollyKaye

Answer by HollyKaye at 7:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2009