Bought a painted stand and it reeks of smoke..

This lady that lives in my town has an online website where she sells furniture and purses that she paints. She is very talented, and I love the stand that i got from her. However, when she dropped it off, I was at work. I get home and it completely reeks of smoke.

It is so bad I tried furniture polish and chlorox wipes but the smell is still very strong. Is this really how you keep a business running? Is it my fault for not asking if it came from a smoke free home?

Should I send her a message or let it go and keep smelling this smoke..it really grosses me out and I paid $75 for it!

sunshineemommy

Asked by sunshineemommy at 8:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2012 in Home & Garden

• Put it in a garbage bag and fill the bottom with about 5 boxes of baking soda(empty out)

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2012

• All I've ever had to do was set something outside-My parents smoke. And I would definitely say something to her.
    SaraD1989

Answer by SaraD1989 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2012

• I'd return it. Cigarette smoke is almost impossible to get out of things. I bought a used table from a smoker....not knowing they smoked, and tried everything I could thing of and that was suggested. I ended up throwing it away.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2012

• I agree with dusting it with baking soda, or if it will fit in some sort of bag, to at least try it. Sorry, though...That sucks!!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2012

• I'd return it too. I can't stand third hand smoke.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2012

• She may have painted it when it smelled that way,,, I think try the baking soda, and setting it outside for a day after,, I would call her and tell her about it, but it seems odd that the furniture polish and or wipes didn't take care of it,, that is why I am afraid it is coming out from under the paint,, you could also put a clear varnish coat on it,, that should seal the pores of the wood and keep the smell from coming back out ( if it is coming through the paint)
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:21 AM on Aug. 16, 2012

• I would return it.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• Absolutely.
    jdjamm

Answer by jdjamm at 4:10 AM on Aug. 29, 2012