Teddy bears/lovies

How old were your kids when they gave up their lovies to sleep with? My recently turned 8 year old received a stuffed duck for Easter last year, and he has had to sleep with it since. Before that, he never slept with a lovie of any sort.

Normal?

Either way, I'm not ripping it out of his bed when it's not doing any harm and he enjoys it so much, I'm just wondering how common it is.

Ginger0104

Asked by Ginger0104 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• he's 7yo, and is currently sleeping with a large stuffed penguin, Javier. Before that, it was a 6ft-long stuffed snake, Snake. and before that, it was a monkey, named Monkey.
    i guess he likes Javier best..to actually name him.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2012

• My dd is 3 and still sleeps with her lovie Leo, and goes nowhere without him.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:42 PM on Aug. 15, 2012

• My 11 year old still keeps her "bankie" on her bed and a beanie baby duck she got when she was a year old.

I have a rag dol from my toddler years and I turn 38 next week. She's perched on my bookcase.

I'm sad.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:00 AM on Aug. 16, 2012

• my little girl will be 3 in november, and she never attached herself to a toy or blanket like that. she sleeps with a different thing every night. I find that weird.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:46 AM on Aug. 16, 2012

• My oldest had a lovey stuffed cat and a huge stuffed dog that he kept in his bed until he was 11. And they only left his bed when his younger brothers wanted to borrow them, he did not give them willingly.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:42 AM on Aug. 16, 2012

• My DD gave up "lovey" on her own right before her 4th birthday. We "had" to take her blanket away per the ped and the dentist. She was "chewing and sucking" on the satin binding and it was causing her overbite to increase. I think that answer was total BS b/c her dad and I have larger than normal overbites, but we did it to be on the safe side. Let me tell you it was ROUGH. She hasn't napped well since and it has been almost 2 mos.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:07 AM on Aug. 16, 2012

• My 10 year old gave up his "duckie quilt" this past year. However, the tradeoff was Grandma made him a flannel pillow case. He will not go to sleep (at home anyway) without it on his bed. If he's going away for the night (camp, sleepover...) to something where he brings his own pillow, that flannel covered one goes. If not, he deals.

My DD will be 8 next month. She received a soft, pastel colored turtle for her first Christmas. She canNOT sleep without it. Seriously. It has been on sleepovers, camping trips...you name it. Turtle goes everywhere she goes. That thing has the floppiest neck you'll ever see because it's been strangled in sleep so many times. ;)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:49 AM on Aug. 16, 2012