Would you have punished your child for this?

My brother came over to my house the other day to fix my stove (my husband is great at fixing cars but my brother is the master of appliances) and my sister in law and two little nephews came with him. Michael is three and Conner is four. Michael has a bad habit of being too rough with the dogs. I have an eight year old collie named Maggie that is so good with children that they can do pretty much anything to her and she won't flinch. My eight month old climbs on her pulls her, bites her, and she won't even get up and move away from her. Michael was trying to get Maggie to follow him into my daughter's room, where they were playing. He was pulling her hair and, even though he was told by me, his parents, and my four year old daughter to stop pulling on her, that he was hurting her, and he wasn't listening.

Finally, my four year old got fed up, grabbed a handful of his hair, and gave it a good yank, shouting "How does it feel? How do you like it, Mikey?" He started crying but eventually apologized to Maggie and he didn't do it again. Even his parents said that he deserved it. I told my daughter that she shouldn't have pulled his hair but I didn't punish her. My mother thinks I should have.

What do you think?

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 2:01 AM on Aug. 16, 2012 in Pets

• I would have talked to her about not pulling hair, but she wouldn't have been in trouble.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:12 AM on Aug. 16, 2012

• No I would have reminded her not to pull hair but not punished her.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:17 AM on Aug. 16, 2012

• Hello aspca future Rep! No I wouldn't have punished.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:18 AM on Aug. 16, 2012

• Maggie is such a patient dog and the rougher kids often take advantage of her gentle nature. My other animals hide from Michael.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 2:20 AM on Aug. 16, 2012

• i would hae let her know that that was not the best way to handle it, but i would not have punished her.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:27 AM on Aug. 16, 2012

• Sounds like that tug on his hair taught him a lesson....I would have talked to her about pulling hair, but not punished her.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:30 AM on Aug. 16, 2012

• No she wouldn't of been punished in my house
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:17 AM on Aug. 16, 2012

• I think you handled it just fine,, and YOUR dog may allow kids to do that, but his parents really need to talk to him about the treatment of animals, he is going to eventually get bit, if he doesn't learn how to treat them better.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:13 AM on Aug. 16, 2012

• No punishment at all.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:31 AM on Aug. 16, 2012

• nope, she protected her dog
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 10:36 AM on Aug. 16, 2012