How to reduce whiny tantrums...

My 30 mo old is going through a very whiny stage.. and she also has began yelling back and hitting when she gets in trouble.. I feel like i always have to yell at her because nothing phases her... HELP.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say something like "What's that? I can't hear you if you're whining." and continue to act as though I just can't hear her until she says it in a normal tone. If she yells back or hits you then she doesn't get what she wants and she gets a time out until she can ask nicely.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• That's what I do.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• LOL WELCOME TO MY WORLD FOR THE PAST TWO YEARS. THE DR'S TELL ME "ITS JUST A PHASE" SEEMS LIKE ONE THAT NEVER ENDS. BUT THE BEST THING I HAVE FOUND IS IGNORING HER TANTRUMS. DO NOT YELL BACK BECAUSE THAT TELLS HER THAT YELLING IS OK (TRUST ME IM JUST AS GUILTY AS THE NEXT WHEN IT COMES TO YELLING) EVENTUALLY THOUGH SHE WILL SEE THAT IT IS NOT GETTING HER ANYWHERE. AS FAR AS HITTING I PUT MINE IN EXTENDED TIME OUTS ALOT AND SHE HATES IT AND USUALLY STOPS DOING WHATEVER IT WAS THAT GOT HER THERE INT HE FIRST PLACE. ITS ALWAYS TRIAL AND ERROR WITH TODDLERS YOU HAVE TO FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOURS.
    boogirlsmommy

Answer by boogirlsmommy at 7:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2009