Battling with homework with my 6 year old? Any suggestions?

I have tried, no TV, No music, quiet room. I have tried right after school, waiting a while, and just before bed. I have even tried in the morning before school.

it took my DD 4 hours ( yes 4) to do 25 math problems. She knows them, so it was not to hard. She was just sitting there whining, playing around. I have tried sitting right there with her the whole time, etc. Nothing is working. Bribs, threats, positive reinforcements, rewards charts, EVERYTHING.

It is an on-going battle with all her work... not just math.

I am going insane dealing with her drama. Someone.. anyone else going/gone through this?

deputywife

Asked by deputywife at 9:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well my daughter is 6 too and she is not allowed a snack or to play or Tv or anything until her homework is done, that is the first thing she has to do when she walks in to door!!!! I would just make her sit there from the time she gets home to the time she has to go to bed a few times she might start wanting to do her homework just to get out of the chair!! also my DD has to do her work at the dining room table where there are no distractions!! good luck!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Try breaking the homework up in fives.It helps with some kids that I have worked with.
    cece122704

Answer by cece122704 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Well, I'm sure there will be many comments after this one but here goes, my youngest is 7 and he is not trying to do his work and is distracting other student's, I got an e-mail from his teacher and I too have done all I know to do, so its time for a good spanking before school in the morning. He is only 7 and if he starts doing these things now what can we expect later on, he is a good kid and the frustating part is that he knows the work, he just wants to play, I think its partly because I home schooled him longer than the other boys and anyone knows that discipline is not a strong point in home schooling, I won't take the blame for him but I may have contributed to this dilemma, but I will not stand for him to just do what ever he wants and disrupt others in the process, and I love my baby, but I need to get to his bottom before its too late.
    Mikki707

Answer by Mikki707 at 10:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I know what your going through, my 8yr old is the same way. I find myself getting after her over and over and she just does not listen!!! She puts it off and dashes off to watch tv or play w/ her
    sisters numerous times, and she has been like this since kinder.
    cbarbosa

Answer by cbarbosa at 12:04 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Well let me ask one thing .... How is it at school? Do they do there work or do they have a hard time doing it there also. My daughter is a very smart child and knows exactly what to do but she is ADHD and I had her on medicine and then took her off but just recently we had to put her back on it. She couldn't sit still to do anything. At school, at home or anywhere else. She knew how to do her homework but it was a battle everyday b/c she couldn't sit there long enough to do it so she would whine & cry and so forth and it was a battle. I would check to see if there are other problems at school or if it is just at home. If it is just at home all I can tell you is maybe make a chart to reward when they come in and do their homework without throwing a fit or whatever else and then after so many times then they get a reward. Good luck but I would definately check into other things too.
    momwifelove

Answer by momwifelove at 9:42 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My daughter gets like this once in a while, there will be days where she just doesn't want to do it. I have her do so many problems then I will give her a 15 minute break before I have her go back and do some more.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Your child has been in school for eight hours. You might try allowing a break there before you get into the homework. (How would you like it if you came home from work and someone handed you a pile of "work" from your job, not housework, that you had to do before anything else. You would probably be pretty pissed.) Try letting them play for a while, get a snack and then sitting down together to tackle the work in timed increments. (Set the timer for 5 minutes and see how many you can get right....) Good luck. HTH.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Man I just was thinking it's just my child. My 6 yr old was just like that all I did was when she come home I give her about 1 hour after so to play with her sister are write but something for her to sit to do. let her know like in 5 mins we are going to start ur homework. Then what I do for math is make it fun do what u have to do to keep her mind on her work. It work for me my baby been good for 6 week in school and at home with things she need to do
    Mz.PhatPhat

Answer by Mz.PhatPhat at 11:39 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Wow. Four hours. That sounds completely exhausting, frustrating and unacceptable. Kudos to you for hanging in there! If learning issues have been ruled out, and if you've tried everything under the sun to motivate her to do her homework, I'd have to ask if those same rewards/bribes/threats tend to work w/ other behaviors? Is it only the homework that she is struggling to focus on and complete in a reasonable amount of time, or are you just as challenged getting her to do other things she doesn't want to do? Has her teacher observed her taking longer than other kids to complete her work, or follow instructions in class? Is she getting enough sleep? Is it only w/ math homework, or all homework no matter whether she likes the subject or not? Would she respond better if it were someone other than YOU making her do her work? You are wise to nip it in the bud NOW. They only get more homewk in later grades. Good luck!
    Playground123

Answer by Playground123 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I think that it is reasonable to break down a math assignment into smaller parts, with a break between work sessions. Draw lines on the paper to create a grid, then fold the paper so that only 5 problems (or whatever) show at a time. Have her complete those problems, then take a break for coloring, snack, or something else that she desires. She may look at those 25 problems as completely overwhelming so doing fewer at a time may help. Also, you can create a "window" out of construction paper so that she can slide it over the math problems and only see one at a time. That works really well with children who have ADD since it is distracting to see all of the problems on the page.

Do you want me to work with her one day after school? I could try out various strategies to see what works best.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2009