Ok so my first daughter was off the bottle 100% by the time she was 6 months... she still had her formula but in sippy cups. Was I wrong for doing that? I am doing the same with my 5 month old and I've taken a lot of flack for it, but I don't feel like I was wrong. Was I?

Momma2beauties

Asked by Momma2beauties at 10:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i did the exact same thing with my daughter! she is 7 months now and has been off the bottle completely for a month! she also still gets formula from the sippy. i dont see why anyone would tell you thats wrong to do. that seems so stupid to think thats a bad thing. I would think people would want to avoid the whole bottle attachment thing. Whatever, ignore them, we're just awesome moms like that lol
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Whats the rush? Just asking..
    Anonymous

• i dont see why u want to take them off the bottle i will be waiting one year or more before introducing a sippy cup but it is ur child and ur choice so who am i to judge
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Not sure, What does the doctor say?, my son was pretty much off the bottle i say by 11 months maybe had a bottle a day than by a year he was totally off ,he was on formula until 18months and I put it in his sippy cup, i know that was okay. I feel my self 6 months is early, but Like I said before ask your doctor and if he says its fine than go for it.I think its your choice and what you feel comfy with.
    NicsMommy29

Answer by NicsMommy29 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I think it's fine as long as they're eating just as much as they would from a bottle. Some kids don't drink as much from sippy cups as they do from bottles because they aren't as comfortable to them as bottles are.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 10:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It's not about rushing or anything.
    1. I didn't want her to be attached to the bottle at all. I wanted her to be off it before she would ever remember having it.
    2. Dr said it was fine and it was actually a good thing because of her teeth.
    3. She still drank the same amount as she did in her bottle.
    4. I did not push it on her. I introduced it to her around the end of her 5th month. She didn't care much for it. The day before she turned 6 months she woke up and would not for the life of her not take a bottle... so I poured the formula in a sippy and she took it. From then on she would not take a bottle.

And to Amanduhpanda yes we are awesome moms!!
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 10:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Good job mama! One less battle for you to fight!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• OP, if its working for your babies I dont see what is wrong with it. I can tell you are a good mommy for being concerned, but if you can tell she is not deprived and doesnt have a need for the sucking, then I would not judge you. I wish I couldve done that! But my little men were booby freaks!
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 2:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2009